Sunday 5 November 2023

A wargame at Nigel’s

On Thursday I was privileged to attend an inaugural wargame in Nigel’s fabulous newly converted dedicated wargame room at his home in the rolling Cumbrian hills. After a bit of panic in the morning due to the cancellation of my train I made good time by car to join Nigel and Tony for a battle based on the Prussian arrival at Waterloo.

I took the part of Blucher while Tony played the dastardly French, Nigel umpired as we were using his own house rules. Most of the figures were Hinton Hunt and all were from Nigel’s vast collection.

Nigel's man-cave.
The table is 8' x 4'. This is the initial setup with the Prussians on the left and French on the right. That's Plancenoit church at the far end of the table with Papelotte in the foreground (the two other buildings near the farm mysteriously disappeared before the game began).
Here are the Prussians and that's Blucher himself in the rear. Most of Nigel's infantry units are 30 figures and cavalry are 16.
My lads are getting ready for the assault on Plancenoit.
However, the action started with an attack on Papelotte as in this scenario the farm had been occupied by the French.
A view along the Prussian line with both sides starting to advance.
The French edge forward towards the church.
While the Prussians do the same!
Tony and I both had a large cavalry force in the centre and of course we couldn't resist getting stuck in with the sabre (the lovely Leib Hussars with their big white plumes are a conversion)..
The battle in full swing.
And how it might have looked in the days when Nigel started wargaming. In the end it was the Prussian cavalry who were to emerge victorious from a seven-unit scrum.
Over at Papelotte though Tony had the upper hand and I was never able to occupy the place.
My infantry were thrown back from the church but I had sneakily brought up two batteries and started blasting the place apart.
A melee at Papelotte where I just about held my own.
The Young Guard in the foreground are running away but they were to rally next turn.
Blucher brings up the Landwehr - you know the French have had it when that happens!

In the end (we managed a full 8 turns) it was a narrow victory for the Prussians but this only came about as I was able to reduce Plancenoit church to rubble thereby denying it as a VP location to Tony.

It was a great day and full credit goes to Nigel for running an excellent game and displaying an impressive grasp of mental arithmetic during some rather complicated melee calculations. I very much enjoyed trying a different set of rules to my own, but ones written in the same vein with mechanisms harking back to the 1970s. I hope I get the chance to play again.

My thanks to the Archduke and Archduchess for their generous hospitality.

21 comments:

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Very impressive, well done to all.

Stryker said...

Thanks Robbie!

MSFoy said...

Great post Ian - very good overview of the place, the collection and the game. And I appreciate that you didn't make much of an issue of having hammered me! I wish the 15eme Chasseurs had been there...

Rob said...

Really said it all already on the blog in aspic - very jealous, although the travelling would be a bit of a disincentive.

Matt said...

What a man-cave!

Norm said...

Just lovely!

Stryker said...

Tony, if the 15th had been there it would have been a different matter!

Stryker said...

Rob, it’s hard to be jealous of Nigel as he is such a top bloke!

Stryker said...

Matt, yes the best man-cave ever!

Stryker said...

Norm, it was!

Rob said...

I was jealous of you getting to play there. When I have a few more 20mil Naps I must invite you down to my cabin.

Stryker said...

Sorry Rob I misunderstood and yes you should be very jealous!

nundanket said...

Excellent post! Great photos. That's an impressive collection and wargaming facility.

Stryker said...

Thanks and yes it is a very impressive collection!

the Archduke said...

A privilege to host Ian and Tony. It was a most auspicious inauguration. Ian is too kind about my mental arithmetic, but I reckon it's a good way to defer dementia.....

Stryker said...

Nigel, not just the mental arithmetic but also the ability to use pen and paper which has largely failed me these days - respect!

Aly Morrison said...

A splendid looking game indeed…
With all these lovely toys to play with…I wouldn’t care if I won or lost… I would probably loose 🤣

All the best. Aly

Wellington Man said...

that is a World Class Wargames Hut and no mistake. It looked like a cracking game too. The toy soldiers are simply spectacular. Congratulations to all involve and to Nigel in particular.
Best regards
WM

Stryker said...

Aly, you’re right that it is simply a pleasure to play with such wonderful toys in such a lovely setting - and with such a generous host!

Stryker said...

WM - this takes things well beyond the realm of a Hut! The display of armies in his cabinet is fantastic and he hasn’t even unpacked the Austrians yet!

David said...

Goodness, what an impressive collection and a marvelous space to display them. Lucky you to get to go to the inauguration of the space!