Thursday 30 November 2023

Guard Chasseur test figure

I found a bit of time to begin work on the Guard Chasseurs starting with this test figure of the Der Kreigspieler version of FN/48 Chasseur a Cheval (mounted) charging. This is another case of a DK castings being virtually indistinguishable for the Hinton Hunt one so I’m happy using them.

I used the Hinton Hunt painting instructions as my guide for this figure and was curious to see that they varied quite a bit from the illustration in my Funcken (Part2) book. The illustrations for Funcken were drawn in 1969 but I'm pretty sure Marcus Hinton would have published his instructions before that. However, as you would guess it's no contest for me as the 'official' Hinton Hunt guide will always win out!


With the evening temperature currently below zero I have been forced to decamp from the Hinton Hut to perch on the end of the kitchen table for my painting sessions. I did insulate the floor and ceiling of the Hut when I built it which makes it habitable 99% of the time even in a Scottish winter. I’ll happily sit out there with a fan heater and my heated blanket but sadly the acrylic paints are not so hardy, as I discovered to my cost (literally) during my first Hut winter.

I now have four troopers completed and have started on the trumpeter but more on him in the next post.

16 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

Ooooo!
He is rather lovely…

It’s getting a bit chilly down here in the Lead Belt as well…
I am ever so glad I got a shiny new boiler 😁

All the best. Aly

Matt said...

I can only imagine the temperature in the hut! Lovely addition to the Guard.

Rob said...

Freezing here too, and while my hut is holding up well, I do my painting in the third bedroom. So no excuse for my lack of progress lately.

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Love him! Now, how many all together will make up the unit?

Kind Regards,

Stokes

Donnie McGibbon said...

He is quite superb, looks lovely, a unit of them should look stunning.

Stryker said...

Aly, thanks and enjoy your boiler bbrrrrrrrr…

Stryker said...

Matt, checked it out this morning and it was -4 in there!

Stryker said...

Rob, part of the deal to get my own dedicated space was that I paint out there so there have been delicate negotiations for the kitchen table takeover!

Stryker said...

Stokes, my cavalry units are all 12 figures so I’m not far off halfway now.

Stryker said...

Thanks Donnie, hopefully this will be a very colourful unit!

Dry Stonewall said...

I may not be a Napoleonic buff but I know a dramatically painted toy soldier when I see one !

MSFoy said...

Lovely job Ian. You have inspired me to remember that I have some of these fellows to paint up, too! Baltic here as well - the snow that fell on Thursday night is undisturbed and has frozen solid - it's supposed to warm up over the next few days - not much, though...

Stryker said...

Thanks Tony, we have some snow here today as well. I checked the Hut this morning and it was minus 6 in there, hope the paint doesn’t flake off 15 years work!!!

Wellington Man said...

He looks suitably crisp and frosty,Ian!
I can't wait to see the trumpeter.
Regards, WM

Stryker said...

WM - the trumpeter is now done but it may be a few more days before I can post!

David said...

And I thought it was cold down in my basement! You are a stronger man than I. The Chasseur is stunning!