As you may have guessed these have taken me a lot longer to complete than I expected. Several reasons for this firstly, I got sucked down the rabbit hole of rebasing my old 15mm AWI armies – I have no idea why I did this. Secondly, I got knocked out for a couple of weeks by the dreaded lurgy. And thirdly, the world descending into further chaos seemed to demotivate me (for a while) from painting toy soldiers.
|Worth the wait I think - I do like the look of French line units.|
Now they’re varnished and based up I am very pleased with the finished look. I took more care with these than my original unit of FN5’s by doing the edging for the collars, cuffs, and turn-backs, whether this is really worth the effort I’m not sure.
|It's nice to see their backs too - something Wellington would agree with.|
|I'm not sure how many of those flags I've painted now!|
The completion of this unit goes some way towards addressing the imbalance of line and Guard units in my French army. Next, I intend to do the same with the cavalry by painting a unit of Cuirassiers.