Saturday 11 June 2022

French 25th ligne Completed

As you may have guessed these have taken me a lot longer to complete than I expected. Several reasons for this firstly, I got sucked down the rabbit hole of rebasing my old 15mm AWI armies – I have no idea why I did this. Secondly, I got knocked out for a couple of weeks by the dreaded lurgy. And thirdly, the world descending into further chaos seemed to demotivate me (for a while) from painting toy soldiers.

Worth the wait I think - I do like the look of French line units.

Now they’re varnished and based up I am very pleased with the finished look. I took more care with these than my original unit of FN5’s by doing the edging for the collars, cuffs, and turn-backs, whether this is really worth the effort I’m not sure.

It's nice to see their backs too - something Wellington would agree with.

For the record the figures are all very nice vintage ‘first generation’ Hinton Hunt;

1 x FN/1 Officer (charging)
1 x FN/4 Colour Bearer (charging)
20 x FN/5 Fusilier (charging)
1 x FN/6 Drummer (charging)
1 x FN/8 Officer (marching)

I'm not sure how many of those flags I've painted now!

The completion of this unit goes some way towards addressing the imbalance of line and Guard units in my French army. Next, I intend to do the same with the cavalry by painting a unit of Cuirassiers.

29 comments:

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Ahh Life! Can't live with it, can't live without it!

However, these Excellent grognards look well worth the wait.

Stryker said...

Cheers Ross!

Jeffers said...

Ooooooooh! 😍

Stryker said...

Aaaaaaaah thanks!

'Lee. said...

Lovely clean and crisp paint job and very neat. I think the addition of the cuff and collar lace does add something to the look. Was thinking it had been a while since I saw a new unit appear here!

Stryker said...

Thanks Lee, hopefully it won’t be quite such a long time until the next one takes to the stage!

MSFoy said...

They look splendid - a gleam of reassuring normality in the returning world. What about a glimpse of your AWI boys?

Matt said...

Really nice looking unit you have there - glad to see you back painting!

Rob said...

Oh yes! Well worth the efort. French Ligne are a sod to paint but have a look all of their own - there's nothing like massed ranks of French infantry to evoke all the nostalgic recall of those photos I used to drool over in my youth.

Mark Dudley said...

Adding the extra lace is time well spent. They are very nice and dandy. But the question is are they going to be a lucky unit.

Duke of Baylen said...

The world is certainly a better place for units painted like this.
Stephen

Stryker said...

Tony, not sure if the AWI boys belong on this blog but you can certainly review them next time you come over.

Stryker said...

Glad you like them Matt!

Stryker said...

Rob, you’re right those old photos are still an inspiration!

Stryker said...

Thanks Stephen!

Stryker said...

Mark, I certainly hope so (unless I’m playing the allies).

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Definitely worth putting the white edge on the red collars and cuffs. I have persuaded myself that it's not necessary to do the red on the turnbacks or lapels because "you wouldn't see it in real life", but am aware that this may be a self-serving and indeed inconsistent bit of reasoning. Saves a lot of grief though!
Colkitto

KEV. Robertson. said...

Very nice work here IAN- you certainly are excellent at painting the Hinton Hunt figures.

Stryker said...

Colkitto, thanks for your comment. It’s always a bit of a balancing act to decide what detail to include for instance I only ever paint buttons on the officers. For me it is the look of massed Napoleonic soldiers that really appeals rather than the look of the individual models.

Stryker said...

Thanks Kev!

Wellington Man said...

They're gorgeus Ian! What is more, they look particularly dashing with their red and white piping and multicoloured pom poms. Lovely lovely lovely.

Yours, greatly inspired
WM

Stryker said...

Thanks WM - I do like a pom pom!

mojoworking said...

These are just perfect, thanks for sharing!

Stryker said...

Well thanks, glad you like them!

David said...

Love your painting style Ian! The addition of the piping really makes them pop, so well worth the effort. As I am in the midst of the piping myself, seeing the 25th is a great reminder that that the pain is worth the gain. How great to be able to make the battalion out of originals in its entirety. I always seem to be sneaking in an imposter here and there. Beautifully done.

Stryker said...

Thanks David, you're right it was nice to finish a unit without any imposters!

Wargamer Stu said...

Its funny - the worse the world gets the more I want to paint for a zen-moment in the day. Currently fired-up for more Sudan stuff ATM so getting stuck into some Egyptians. Roy's even re-based some of his old Jacklex

Stryker said...

Thanks Stu, it is true that painting can be a meditative process. Glad to see that Roy is getting some use out of his extensive colonial armies!

James Fisher said...

Can't have too many 'air guitar' French infantry!
Seriously though, they look marvellous as ever Ian.
Regards, James