Friday 17 November 2023

What? More Guard cavalry?

Earlier this year I did say that my French Guard cavalry was complete unless I found enough Chasseur-a-cheval for a full unit – well, be careful what you wish for.

Thanks to Nigel (and Tony) I have managed to assemble enough troopers for a full 12-figure unit. This will be made up of 7 x 2-piece castings, 1 x one-piece casting and 4 x DK one-piece castings. I really like the effect of mixing one-piece and two-piece figures in a unit, and I think this one is going to look very smart.

Back left is an original OPC converted to trumpeter, back right a vintage 2-piece casting and front is a DK OPC painted by Don W.

The Hinton Hunt OPC was already prepared by the previous owner for conversion to a trumpeter as the carbine and sword have been removed. All I had to do was add a trumpet with arm from another casting (of unknown origin) to make a rather nice-looking figure.

Two of the DK castings are figures sent to me by Don about 15 years ago so it’s about time they got used – I won’t be stripping the paint from these as I’ll opt instead for a touch up of Don’s original work.

I can’t wait to get started on these!

16 comments:

Rob said...

More Guard cavalry!
You are clearly determined to win with your French, by hook or by crook... ;o)
Seriously though, I can't wait to see them finished, such a special unit.

Stryker said...

You’re right Rob, surely a proper win for the French at last!

Donnie McGibbon said...

They look cracking figures, should make up a really lovely unit.

Stryker said...

Thanks Donnie, I’m looking forward to getting to grips with them!

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Can't wait to see the finished unit!

Kind Regards,

Stokes

Wellington Man said...

Outstanding! I've been waiting for years to see what you'd make of the Guard Chasseurs. You're French Army was never going to be complete without them. It still won't be with them, of course, but don't let that hold you back!
Best regards and congratulations,
WM

Stryker said...

Thanks Stokes, I can’t wait either!

Stryker said...

WM, the French army may not be complete but the Guard cavalry definitely will (surely?).

Rob said...

Having seen the latest post on the 'Waterloo in 20mm' blog I shall have to stop ragging you about how much Guard cavalry you have.

Aly Morrison said...

One of my favourite Guard units…
I am also looking forward to seeing these fellows painted.

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

Too right Rob!

Stryker said...

Thanks Aly!

Matt said...

Then you can look at Murat's Guard....

Stryker said...

Matt NOOOOO arg enough is enough!

David said...

Ooof, not another one! Between you and Matthew I really must get these at the top of my painting pile. Very lucky to have some originals to include, though the DKs are quite nice as well. The trumpeter conversion with the banner on the trumpet is stunning. Can't wait to see what you can do with him!

Stryker said...

David, I've just finished painting my 'test figure' for the DK's and I agree it is a very nice figure with plenty of detail but as usual is just slightly smaller than the Hinton Hunt one.