Saturday 28 October 2023

Drummer for the 33rd

I've made a bit of progress over the last few days and have completed all the rank and file for the French 33rd Regiment so I'm on to the command figures starting with this drummer which as you know is FN/6 Drummer (charging). He's clearly not a drummer 'boy' judging by his luxuriant moustache.

For a change I've given this chap a blue coat rather than green livery.

I've painted a fair few of these over the years and my stocks were dwindling until Tony recently kindly donated some. This was useful as the haul of figures earlier this year did not include any drummers although there were plenty of officers.

I tend to paint the command figures last as a reward for plodding through the rankers so hopefully I'll have the whole unit completed soon.

14 comments:

Rob said...

Interesting outfit, what period is that from?
I prefer to get the command group out of the way and then crack on with the rank and file. I find painting several singleton figures all stop and go but get into a rhythm painting multiples of the same figure.

Matt said...

Very nice addition - I looking forward to seeing the whole unit complete.

Stryker said...

Rob, the uniform is based (loosely) on an image on MontStJean.com so is circa 1815.

Stryker said...

Matt, thanks hopefully the full unit will be on parade soon!

Aly Morrison said...

Very nice indeed Ian…
Blue coated drummers were a thing during the Hundred Days…
They would have been ex Royal issue some of them may have had Imperial braid added and some may simply have been left as they were…Or even stripped of braid completely.

All the best. Aly

Norm said...

Splendid job and I’m also one who is fully signed up to the ‘reward’ type paining of speciality figures.

Stryker said...

Thanks Aly that’s interesting!

Stryker said...

Norm, I consider it a reward until I get to the standard bearer with his cast-on flag then it’s not quite such fun!

the Archduke said...

Always like a good drummer, and this chap is no exception. Interesting discussion of his uniform, too. I might nick the idea one day.

Stryker said...

Thanks Nigel glad you like him.

Wellington Man said...

What a splendid wee chappie. I'm working on one for the Irish Legion right now, as it happens, so I know exactly how tricky these are. I think I can safely say you've got them cracked.

Stryker said...

Thanks WM, the drummer is another of my ‘favourite’ figures and I look forward to seeing your Irish version!

David said...

Well I learned something today. Had no idea that blue coated drummers appeared during the 100 days campaign. That makes him even more extra special.

Stryker said...

To be honest David I didn’t know it either until I was researching for this unit!