Thursday 15 August 2024

Grenzer Test Figure

This is the test paint job for my next Austrian infantry unit using the recently acquired Austrian figures. I thought I'd go for a Grenzer unit as a break from all those white uniforms and they will represent the 15th Szeckler regiment because of their rather natty pink facings that I think contrast well with the brown coats.

The figure is AN/25 Hungarian Musketeer, firing.

According to my painting source there is some controversy over when/if the Grenzer units received their 'tobacco brown' coats but the 15th are listed as one that probably did. Equally undecided is whether the Grenzers had white or black straps but I have gone with black. Production is now underway on the first six figures.

14 comments:

Matt said...

This is a good start to the new Austrians!

Donnie McGibbon said...

Lovely figure and a cracking paint job on him, great uniform, I can see why you went with it, a unit of them on the table will look brilliant.

Stryker said...

Thanks Matt, first six now completed!

Stryker said...

Donnie, I think they’ll add a bit more colour to the otherwise very white looking hordes!

Aly Morrison said...

Very nice indeed Ian…
A lovely colour combination… The pink looks spot on…

All the best. Aly

Wellington Man said...

He is superb, Ian. The regiment will look sensational!

Stryker said...

Thanks Aly, pretty in pink!

Stryker said...

Hopefully WM!

the Archduke said...

"White hordes"? now, you need at least twelve battalions for a horde.....the Grenzer looks great, and I think you were wise to choose black webbing. Pink with white might be a little too much ice cream.....

Stryker said...

Looking like ice cream would not be good. I’ll downgrade the horde to a host!

James Fisher said...

Test passed with flying colours I'd say Ian!
I really like the Székler Grenz with their pink facings. Mine wear the white coats as they are for 1796-1800 with the low slung pack. For later ones I'll have the same dilemma as you as to whether white or taba-braun.
Regards, James

David said...

That is a really striking figure Ian! A whole regiment of those will be a lovely unit indeed. Those pink facings, love it!

Stryker said...

Thanks James!

Stryker said...

Should make for a colourful group.