Saturday 17 February 2024

Artillery Reinforcements Complete

The guns and limbers are finished and all ready for action. This brings the total of French guns up to eight which is surely enough even for Napoleon. The Duke increases his artillery park to a respectable four pieces.

A bit of an unusual sight but today the British and French artillery are parading together.

Ramsay's Battery. It's hard for me to believe but I painted Mercer's Battery back in 2009!

The figures used are:

1 x BN.24 Gunner (ramming home)
1 x BN.23 Gunner (positioned for manning gun)
1 x BN.24a Gunner (holding hand spike)
1 x BN.25 Officer (holding spy-glass and pointing)
1 x A.2 Field Gun - with modified wheels

This is the fourth French Foot Battery for the collection. The officer had lost his shako plume so I have reconstructed it.

The figures used are:

1 x FN/32 Gunner (holding cannon ball)
1 x FN/34 Gunner (positioned for manning gun)
1 x FN/30 Officer (pointing)
1 x FN/33 Gunner (ramming home)
1 x A/3 Field Gun - with modified wheels

This addition means that both sides can field the right number of limbers for their Horse Batteries.

The figures used are:

1 x BN.28 R.H.A. Driver (positioned for riding on gun horse H/1)
1 x H/1 Nearside draught horse
1 x H/2 Offside draught horse
1 x AL.2 Gun Limber (British)
1 x A.2 British Field Gun
1 x FN/36 Driver, Line Artillery Drivers Corps (positioned for riding H/3)
1 x H/3 French Gun Horse (near side horse)
1 x H/4 French Gun Horse (off side horse)
1 x French Limber by Newline Designs
1 x A/3 French Field Gun

All the figures used are vintage Hinton Hunt castings (with the exception of the Newline Designs French limber).

Next up, you guessed it - more French line infantry.

18 comments:

Norm said...

Lovely job, full of charm.

Stryker said...

Thanks Norm!

Rob said...

More lovely guns, but enough? Surely not, you can never have enough guns.

Donnie McGibbon said...

They are lovely, really nice work, the limbers particularly look good.

Stryker said...

Rob, I guess it’s more a case of how many can I actually fit on the table!

Stryker said...

Thanks Donnie, I do like the stylised look of the two-horse limbers.

MSFoy said...

Very smart indeed - I love them!

Stryker said...

Thanks Tony, hopefully you’ll get to use them fairly soon!

Duke of Baylen said...

All useful additions to your armies. Another walk in the park - artillery park that is!
I always enjoy seeing what you have produced.
Stephen

Stryker said...

Thanks Stephen, I do seem to have had a fairly productive start to the year.

Wellington Man said...

Very smart.
I have to admit that those HH guns definitely look better with bigger wheels.
Best regards
WM

Stryker said...

Thanks WM and yes the models are really very nice with the bigger wheels.

Aly Morrison said...

Very nice indeed Ian…
The limbers look great…I really must bite the bullet and get some painted.

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

Aly, this brings me to seven limbers which I think is doing my bit!

David said...

These are lovely Ian, but of course, never being satisfied, I want to see the whole artillery park! The two-horse limbers look great and fit in nicely with your painting style and original figures. I only wish Dick Tennant had come to that realization!

Stryker said...

Your full teams look great David but the 2-horse ones are certainly more practical on the table. I will order an artillery review for you!

the Archduke said...

Ian, they are splendid, as ever. I can't help thinking the French foot batteries are at a disadvantage in having to man their pieces carrying full pack and muskets....and, come to think of it, the British, Prussian and Russian foot batteries....I'm sure you can see where this is going. Plus 1 on the dice for guns served by fellows who have removed their packs?

Stryker said...

Nigel, I'll include that in the next rules revision!