Friday 6 January 2023

Baker’s Dozen

I’m just over halfway through my next unit which you must admit is a pretty impressive start to the New Year by my standards. These are more British Riflemen, but this time painted to represent the 60th regiment.

Two units of Rifles may seem a bit excessive however I had a few castings left over from the 95th and then Tony generously offered me some spare figures he had. What’s good about this setup is that it gives me the option to field a unit of rifles in close order and still have some for skirmishing or to double as KGL Light Infantry for defending La Haye Sainte etc.

When I started painting these, I had decided to make them a second battalion for the 95th but part way in changed my mind and repainted them as the 60th. The red collars and cuffs adds a bit of variation and means they will be easily distinguishable from their more famous brothers helping to prevent them from suffering the indignity of ending up in the wrong storage box after a game.

18 comments:

Rob said...

Big fan of the 5/60th who are only put in the shade by the 95th because of the large number of memoirs by members of the latter.
That's a super shade of dark green you've used and if you wanted you could just stop there with a couple of skirmish units as I don't recall them ever being fielded as single unit or fighting in close order like the 95th did at times.

Stryker said...

Rob - I read that they were fielded in full at a couple of Peninsular battles but probably as skirmishers I would imagine. I have enough figures so will be making them up to a full 24-figure battalion.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

So that's how they end up in the wrong barracks? I thought it had something to do with extra rum rations.

Doesn't hurt to have more than needed though, just in case.... (esp when they look so good ).

Stryker said...

Thanks Ross, part of the attraction is that they are lovely examples of Marcus Hinton’s work, the officer in particular is a superb little sculpt!

MSFoy said...

These boys look splendid Ian - very nicely done. If there are any ex-Eric lads here, he would be delighted with them, that's for sure.

Stryker said...

Thanks Tony, at least a third of them are Eric’s. I couldn’t use the prone figures with my basing system but I have some vague ideas on how I might use them in the future!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Splendid IAN- your certainly the 'Gold Standard' in painting Hintons. Marvelous effort.

Stryker said...

Thanks Kev!

Aly Morrison said...

Looking good Ian…
I have both the 60th and 95th as well… it would be rude not to.

All the best. Aly

Wellington Man said...

Those are great Ian! A fine choice all round. The red facings really pop.

Stryker said...

Aly, agreed- the 60th should get equal recognition!

Stryker said...

Thanks WM, they’re also easier to paint without that white piping!

David said...

The 5/60th had a splendid looking uniform and you have done a spectacular job of rendering here. Absolutely one of my favorites. Well done sir!

Stryker said...

Thanks David, glad you like them!

the Archduke said...

Splendid chaps, once more. I'm actually beginning to sympathise with....no, no that's heresy.

Stryker said...

Nigel, I’m starting to think you want to play the British in our next game!

Matt said...

Plain lovely!

Stryker said...

Thanks Matt!