Saturday 5 November 2022

A Restoration Project

As I’m sure most of you are aware there have been quite a few bits and pieces of Clive Smither’s vast toy soldier collection finding their way on to eBay recently. I had been wanting to have something of his for use in the Hinton Hut and managed to pick up a unit of Prussian firing figures a couple of weeks ago. These figures were part of Clive’s Prussian force and, as it was the desire to recreate my old Hinton Hunt Prussian army that led me to start this blog, they seemed like an appropriate addition.

This is how the figures arrived - mostly PN.4 Private (firing) with one of each officer type, drummer and converted standard bearer.

I only met Clive once (when he came to Bath to attend my 2016 wargame) but we exchanged many emails over the years. I remember discussions with him about how best to use Blogger to catalogue Hinton Hunt figures at the time he set up the Hinton Hunter. He was also very helpful identifying figures for me in the days before he had his blog up and running. His Prussian figures were mostly David Clayton produced castings as vintage ones were rare as hen’s teeth. I believe most of them were purchased from a shop in the US that was closing. He generously gave me the option on some of that purchase including the figures I used for the famous 1st Silesian Landwehr.

Clive's full Prussian Army (photo borrowed from the Hinton Hunter). The unit in question is centre right.

Being Clayton castings, the figures are not that great, the metal is on the soft side and at least half the bayonets are stubby and need some restoration work. As you know, I normally prefer to strip the paint from old castings but as these figures were Clive’s work, I didn’t feel very comfortable with that idea so tried a touch up on a test figure which of course pretty much ended up as a repaint.

The first restored figure. I'm probably going to change him to a fusilier with black straps as this will sit better with my OOB.

One of the problems I have encountered is that the figures have been coated with Plasti Dip which is a product that is useful on plastic soldiers to stop paint flaking. Quite why Clive used this on metal figures I’m not sure and in places this thin membrane is coming adrift. Having faffed about trying to remedy this I decided last night to strip some of the figures after all and, with a twinge of guilt, cast them into the jam jar of doom.

If these guys can survive a bleach bath who knows how they'll perform on the table!

To my amazement they emerged from the bleach this morning completely unscathed which I took as a sign - don't mess with Clive’s figures! I will be returning to my touch-up plan.

18 comments:

'Lee. said...

Interesting read that Ian and great that some of Clives figures came to you. I saw the auction lots so take it these are now being resold as individual units and I guess at inflated prices? oh well, the way of the world I suppose and main thing is that you have a very nice unit there to add to your collection. The touch up test figure looks great to my eyes.
Lee.

Stryker said...

Lee, what I've seen appears to be traders as his collection was sold at auction. As a result the prices are a bit all over the place but not particularly high. I will just be glad to have a unit we can put on the table in any future games.

Jeffers said...

Never heard of Plasti Dip, but wargamers used to put all manner of things on their figures to prevent the dreaded greasy finger causing damage. Best I’ve seen was in the late 80s, using some Airfix ACW a club member had brought in. They looked brand new and unchipped, but we’re about twenty years old. The secret: his mum’s hairspray!

Rob said...

I agree with Lee that the touch up job looks just fine and also with your thoughts about making them Fusiliers, as opposed Musketeers, I think it's the firing pose that does it for me.

Stryker said...

Jeffers, that would be great as long as they are kept away from any naked flames!

Stryker said...

Rob, I have one unit of firing figures as fusiliers already so it makes sense to have another so I can form two Prussian brigades. It does mean though that I may have to paint some more musketeers as well which was never in the plan!

Rob said...

My plans never survive contact with eBay.

Stryker said...

I believe it was sun tzu who first said that…

Matt said...

I think the touch up looks grand - I would stay with that path too.

MSFoy said...

Hi Ian - Plastidip is a horror. It is used for putting waterproof protective coatings on things like tools (and Clive reckoned it will also provide electrical insulation). I think he started using it because someone told him it was perfect for stopping paint flaking off plastics - he used the clear version, as you see.

I had one experience of stripping Plastidipped figures which I got from Clive. Nothing worked, except Nitromors (also known as Hand-Remover), which is far too serious for my league. The weird thing about the Nitromors effort was that the Plastidip came off the figures, but it was still in the solvent that was left, like grapeskins in the goo, and it looked as if it was more or less complete. Do not attempt to strip it if you can avoid doing so - it will damage your health and probably your sanity. Just be glad that your figures are proof against almost anything - nuclear attack should be OK.

I believe your Prussians will end up very satisfactory if you touch them up!

James Fisher said...

As ever your sprucing is just the ticket. Viewing your painted figures provide such vicarious delight!
Regards, James

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi IAN- To take the paint away from old figures I use commercial 'Paint Stripper'- volatile stuff- when used overnight in a sealed glass jar the figures emerge after rinsing in warm water - absolutely bare metal as cast long ago. Nice to see Prussians. Cheers. KEV.

Stryker said...

Matt, thanks this is good advice.

Stryker said...

Tony, a spooky image - perfectly formed Prussian skins bobbing about in the paint stripper! I have learnt my lesson and will not be stripping these.

Stryker said...

James, good to hear from you and I’m glad you are still enjoying the blog!

Stryker said...

Kev, I have always shied away from using heavy duty stripper, my rule is if bleach won’t shift it then it is fine just to paint over whatever is left.

Wellington Man said...

Hurrah! Your Prussians are my favourites. I can't think of a better place for Clive's men than the Hinton Hut.

Stryker said...

Thanks Matthew, hopefully you can meet them in the hut some day!