Wednesday 15 September 2021

Russian Artillery

For quite a few years now I have wanted to find enough Russian gunners to field a battery or two of guns. Finally, I have scraped some together although they are the DK version of Hinton Hunt gunners as the real things are rarer than hen’s teeth.


The figures are:
2 x RN70 Officer, pointing, holding map
2 x RN71 Gunner with porte-fire
2 x RN72 Gunner ramming home
2 x RN74 Gunner holding hand spike for traversing
The guns are by Newline Designs

The limber rider is a vintage casting of RN76 Artillery Driver riding on DK versions of draught horses H/1 and H/2. The limber is an unknown make I had hanging around.

One of the things that has always impressed me with Roy’s Hinton Hunt armies is that he has a limber for every model gun – and there’s loads of them! I have determined to field at least one limber per army and hopefully over time a few more than that.

It’s been a nice break to paint these gunners after a year so far spent painting cavalry but there are already more horses undercoated and waiting on the painting desk.


26 comments:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

Superb , I hate painting limbers but they do look the part once on the tabletop.

Rob said...

Lovely Wussians as WM would say. They should see of some of that very pwetty French cavalry you've been producing lately - assuming they come to the aid of the Austrians?
I think the size of the units makes one limber per battery a bit of an extravagance but having one or two for aesthetic reasons or to represent the artillery park seems a good idea.

Stryker said...

GSS - I've decided to go with 2-horse versions to avoid table clutter, originally I was making them 4-horse but they just get in the way!

Stryker said...

Rob, I was thinking to at least have them for the horse batteries as I don't like seeing the guns charging around without them. I'm sure the Russians will be helping out the Austrians and Prussians!

lewisgunner said...

Newline do nice limbers, clean and nothing odd about them. Alternatively looknat Franznap Ian.
The DKs look fine!
Roy

Purple said...

Wonderful!
Lovely uniform colours!

I envy your patience in hunting and collecting these figures.

P

Rob Young said...

Looking good. As a matter of interest (as in, to give me ideas) what paint did you use for the uniform colour?

Stryker said...

Thanks Roy, I do like the Newline items as they are a little under scale just like HH!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Nice work there on the Russian Artillery IAN- well done!

Stryker said...

Thanks Purple, patience is good but a sensible person would buy from a figure range still in production!

Stryker said...

Rob Y, I use Wargames Foundry 41C Bottle Green. It's lighter than their official Russian Green but I like colours to be on the light side on 20mm figures.

Stryker said...

Cheers Kev, glad you like them!

Matt said...

Very nice indeed!

Stryker said...

Cheers Matt!

Wellington Man said...

Those are terrific!
Love the all-green look.
Best reards
WM

Stryker said...

Wm, the all green look is courtesy of the HH painting instructions!

David said...

I am so jealous of the limber! I have a plethora of the DK gunners but nary a limber have I found. I think I finally resorted to getting a new one from Art Miniaturen. Your batteries and the green uniforms are stunning!

Aly Morrison said...

These look the business Ian…
I also think that the colour works really well…

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

David - the limber isn't HH, I have no idea what it is or even if it's meant to be Russian but it looks a good fit!

Stryker said...

Thanks Aly, although annoyingly I have just about finished that pot!

The Archduke said...

Very elegant and purposeful. But “sensible”? Which of us would claim to be sensible?

Stryker said...

Good point Nigel!

James Fisher said...

Wonderful looking battery Ian. The gunners look tremendous. I really like the Newline guns too.
Regards, James

Stryker said...

Thanks James, Newline make some nice stuff reasonably priced.

Anonymous said...

Great job, love the limber team.

Paul

Stryker said...

Thanks Paul!