Monday 18 November 2019

Inside the Hinton Hut

The Hinton Hut is finally finished, and I have taken up residence. Some may question the wisdom of occupying the hut at the start of the Scottish winter, but I was keen to get all my stuff moved in even if it is a bit chilly.

The view across the length of the cabin from the door. My desk
is at the far end. The wargame table is 6'x4' but looks smaller
in this shot.
The desk area is big enough for my paints and accessories with
adjacent desk space for the laptop. The display cabinet is
central on the wall so I can view it from wherever I am sitting.
The view from the desk back towards the door (on the left).
I have used Ikea Billys for storage and the configuration works
well. If I turn the table the other way it can be extended to 8'x4'.
The storage area - soldiers and 'stuff'' on the wall, I'll get some
more storage boxes when funds allow. Most of my books are
on the unit to the right with a bit of overflow to the left (click
the image to zoom in).
I've managed to find space for all my pictures including this
article about the founders wife given to me by Roy on my
60th birthday!


It’s great to have a dedicated space for my toy soldiers, terrain, painting desk, books, pictures etc and a permanent wargame table. This is something I’ve dreamed of having since I was 12 years old, hopefully I’ll get some time to enjoy it.

27 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

What a wonderful set-up!

Best Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Thanks Stokes, I am a lucky boy!

Rob Young said...

Looks a lot neater and tidier than my shed - 16'x9' but once you've put shelving down the whole of one of the long edges and a 12' x 4' in as well...

Stryker said...

Rob, it's only tidy because I've just moved in. Good day to choose as it is currently -4 degrees and falling outside and not much warmer in the hut!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Wow! Great "hut"! Palace come to mind. (Not envious here of course)

Enjoy many happy hours in it.

Stryker said...

Thanks Ross, I intend to!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Well Done Ian- it all looks spacious, super neat and tidy- just great for you. Cheers. KEV.

Stryker said...

Thanks Kev, I hope I can keep it that tidy!

'Lee. said...

Lovely space Ian, and so neat and tidy looking. Mention above of -4 degrees made me shiver though, it's 13 degrees here in Valencia and everyone is saying how unseasonably cold (Frio) it is! Forecast says back to 21 degrees by end of the week. You Northern folk are hardy souls :)

lewisgunner said...

Looks a great addition, a bit more civilised than the dungeon garage was.
A pity you are so far north😏

Stryker said...

Lee, it was -7 when I got up this morning so I doubt if I'll be spending long in the cabin today!

Stryker said...

Roy, the main problem with the garage was the lack of any windows, this is infinitely better!

warpaintjj said...

I have shed envy!
Really pleased to see this in action, enjoy every second in your new home.
Best wishes,
Jeremy

Anonymous said...

Very tidy. An excellent mancave.

mojoworking said...

Ian, that is a superb man-cave. If I had a space like that my OH would only see me at mealtimes! I suspect that would be her preferred option anyway.

Cheers

Dave

Stryker said...

Thanks anon, I'm very pleased with it!

Stryker said...

Jeremy, you could always get one of your own!

Stryker said...

Dave, to be fair Mrs S has been very encouraging throughout the whole process but now I'm doubting her motives!

Anonymous said...

A great place to play games, wonderful.

Paul

p.s. like the Russians in previous post

Wellington Man said...

I am in awe of the splendidness of your Hinton Hut, Ian. Also, how on earth did you find three different tables which were all exactly the same height, width and breadth?

Stryker said...

Thanks Paul!

Stryker said...

WM - the tables are all standard Ikea ones but bought at different times hence different legs but all the same dimensions!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Now that is a shed! How do you make sure damp doesn't get in due to temperature? Tube heaters??

Stryker said...

Steve - its constructed with 2"thick tongued and grooved logs which are wind and rain tight. I put 2" of insulation under the floor and 2.5" on the ceiling and the whole thing has 6 coats of wood stain/varnish. So far it seems to be totally dry and there is no condensation but then winter is only just starting!

James Fisher said...

What a fabulous den Ian! It's marvellous to have these dreams since beginning in the hobby realised isn't it?
You'll be hardly ever out of there, I bet!

Stryker said...

Thanks James, it's a great space and even though the temperature is a bit nippy I'm spending as much time as I can out there. Only problem is there's so much to look at that I haven't picked up a paint brush in a week!

Iain said...

Nice man-cave! I'm sure the initial neatness will soon disappear as you get stuck into various projects - in mine, I tend to stop proceedings every now and again to have a quick tidy-up.