Sunday 21 July 2019

Beaufighter Boys (Off Topic #26)

This book Beaufighter Boys by Graham Pitchfork has just been released by Grub Street Books. The author has compiled tales of Beaufighter crews illustrating the roles and theatres of war in which the aircraft was employed during WW2. The text is illustrated with plenty of black and white photos, many of which have never been published before.

Originally researched a few years ago but not completed until now, most of the accounts are written by the participants themselves or as a result of interviews with them. Sadly, the majority of these Beaufighter veterans have now passed away but their stories should appeal to anyone with an interest in the air war in WW2.

My father WO Dennis Spencer DFC is featured in chapter 22 of the book where he describes the techniques used to navigate at low level across the Burmese jungle, deep behind enemy lines (the extract is from his memoir Looking Backwards over Burma).

6 comments:

Rob said...

I share you enthusiasm - Beaufighters are definitely one of my favorite types and anti-shipping strikes are among the most dramatic actions. Unfortunately I am trying to shift loads of books as the house has become far too cluttered so I shall have to resist the temptation especially as your post title suggests it is off topic for me as well...

Stryker said...

Rob, yes the book mountain! I have quite a few books on the Beaufighter, mostly from my dad's collection but this is the first one that ties them all together.

Matt said...

Another one for the collection.

Stryker said...

Matt, I've read the first five chapters and it is actually really interesting!

Matt said...

Ordered mine!

Stryker said...

Good man!