Friday 22 March 2019

Silesian Musketeers

The Silesian Musketeers are finished, based and ready for action and what a fine-looking body of metal men they are.


These are all vintage castings except for the standard bearer, which is a conversion of a David Clayton produced figure:

1 x PN.1 Officer (charging)
1 x PN.5 Private (converted to standard bearer)
1 x PN.6 Drummer (charging)
1 x PN.7 Officer (marching)
20 x PN.3 Private (charging)


This same figure populated the ranks of my 1970s army, and I had three units of them all painted with the yellow facings of a Silesian Regiment, because this is what the Hinton Hunt painting instructions dictated.


Not bad progress for me for five weeks work. Next up will be the 4th Brandenburg Regiment with red facings and sky-blue shoulder straps.

16 comments:

Rob said...

Well done, it's amazing how much you can when you just knuckle down - I usually prevaricate over figures for longer than it actually takes me to paint them.

Stryker said...

Thanks Rob, it's true that I seem to spend an extraordinary amount of time faffing around at my painting desk without ever picking up a paint brush!

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

What a handsome unit!

Best Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Thanks Stokes!

Wellington Man said...

Stunning work, Ian! Not only are they beautiful, but doing the whole battalion all in one go like that is very impressive. do you think you're going to paint all your regiments like this in future?
Bets regards
WM

Stryker said...

WM - it's not strictly a production line as I'm still painting in batches but just being a bit more efficient. I'll keep going with the rest of the Prussians in the same way, it helps that they're all the same figure pose.

'Lee. said...

Wonderful Ian, what a magnificent battalion, something about those yellow facings with the blue coats really works well. Keep at it!

Mark Dudley said...

Another lovely looking unit.

The yellow looks vibrant. I find it can take 2 or even 3 costs of yellow paint to build up a nice rich colour.

I will be turning my attention to the Prussians myself later this year and will use the pictures of your Prussians to motivate myself.

Stryker said...

Thanks Lee, already have 8 figures of the next unit finished!

Stryker said...

Thanks Mark, you can probably tell I'm really enjoying painting these! I always do three coats for yellow and red, starting with the dark 'A' shade in the Foundry range followed by 2 coats of the 'B' shade, worth the effort I think.

Purple said...

Really beautiful!

lewisgunner said...

Beautiful Ian. Very smartly Prussian.

Aly Morrison said...

A beautiful paint job... as always...

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

Thanks for the comments!

Anonymous said...

Lovely unit, your Prussian force is coming together.

Regards

Paul

Stryker said...

Hi Paul, yes it is, and about time too!