Friday 22 February 2019

Prussian production line

Prussian production is now in full swing and I have completed 11 Silesian musketeers so far. There are quite a few others ranked up on the painting desk in various stages of production. I’m trying to be organised and plan to paint the command figures for all 3 units in batches together for greatest efficiency.


I’ve also decided on a quick re-fit of the Fusilier battalion. To be honest I’ve never been happy with this unit mainly because I made a bit of a mess of the flagpole, so I’ve taken the opportunity to replace this and reposition the bearer’s arms. I’ve also removed the drummer and will replace him with a hornist using a Jager figure (the drummer will be reassigned to one of the musketeer battalions). The whole unit will also get a coat of gloss varnish which I hope will lift them a bit as the black straps against blue make them look quite dark.

From left to right: Soult, Nansouty, Wellington

I was very please to receive a package from Ian J this week that contained some lovely vintage castings of personality figures. Apparently, the figures had been in a loft for 50 years, but they seem to be enjoying the daylight now standing proudly on my desk. I already have examples of all three, but I can easily accommodate them in my armies with a name change, except possibly Wellington but then again two Dukes would surely confound the French.

13 comments:

Rob said...

I think the Fusiliers are nice, although going shiny will make them even better. As you say, you really seem to be on a painting roll at the moment, what's triggered this? Whatever it is if you can bottle it you'll make a fortune.

Stryker said...

Rob, it's the long cold Scottish winter nights however spring seems to be coming early so productivity may fall!

Matt said...

The Prussians are moving on well. I managed to pick up 12 more HH ACW today. I really should get some pictures up!

Wellington Man said...

I am mightily impressed, Ian. I'm going through tortures trying to paint a single cavalry regiment in one go - three infantry regiments and refurbishing a fourth all at the same time would cause a nervous breakdown!


They are already looking very spiffy indeed, by the way.

Stryker said...

Matt - great getting the ACW as they have proved elusive to me, pics would be good!

Stryker said...

Thanks Matthew, I'm always more productive in the winter but this lot will take at least four or five months to complete!

Mark Dudley said...

I trust you will keep your old Wellington Avatar even if you do produce a newer Wellington.

Are you planning to gloss all your collection ?

the Archduke said...

Loving the Prussians. Well done, Sir, including your new acquisitions. Personally I'm not persuaded that it would be the French who were confounded by two Dukes.

Stryker said...

Mark - yes, it will not change. My existing Welly is a Clayton one so I would quite like to have a Vintage one too, but he will always be sheltered behind a ridge!

Stryker said...

Nigel - you're right it would probably confuse me too to have a pair of Wellies!

'Lee. said...

That is indeed quite a production line Ian. The vintage HH generals are wonderful.

Stryker said...

Lee - I love the HH personality figures, no other manufacturer before or since have produced such a comprehensive range!

lewisgunner said...

Yes, A pity he didn't make Austrian and Russian personalities. I always thought it must be bad for the Tsarist and Imperial troops to only have anonymised commanders!