Wednesday 30 January 2019

My new favourite unit

I finally got around to basing them so I can justifiably claim that the Prussian Guard Grenadiers have been 'finished by the end of the month' as promised. Last year my favourite new unit were the Young Guard however, just one month into this year, they have been usurped by these smart fellows.


Perhaps it’s the ridiculous plumes or maybe their fine moustaches but they look every bit a Guard unit and deserving of ‘A’ grade status under my rules. I really have enjoyed painting them and will be sad to see them march off the painting desk and into the display cabinet.


Just for the record they are:

1 x PN.5 Private (converted to standard bearer)
1 x PN.10 Officer (charging)
1 x PN.13 Guardsman (charging - converted to drummer)
1 x PN.15 Officer (marching)
20 x PN.16 Guardsman (marching)

The figures are a mixture of vintage, Clayton and reproduction Hinton Hunt castings. Next, I will be moving on to the first of the Line Musketeer units, time to redress the balance of forces having completed the Guard and Landwehr.

23 comments:

Rob said...

They look smart / freshly laundered, which is what, I think, gives them that palace guard look.
I always put my command bases towards the right flank if not central, place of honour and all that. Is yours a historical or aesthetic choice or just chance?

Stryker said...

Rob, I've never thought about it but could be because I'm left handed!

lewisgunner said...

Stunning stuff from the Stryker. A very nicely proportioned figure, beautifully painted. They do put one in mind of a regt. of aggressive ice creams advancing across the field of battle.

Cheers

Stryker said...

Roy, yes with 99 men per company!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Guardsmen indeed. Nice work! Quite Stryking!

Wellington Man said...

I could never decide if they were tic tacs or ibuprofen tablets, which says something about me I guess. They are absolutely brilliant, Ian, in every way!

Mark Dudley said...

They are lovely. I like troops that look pristine and Guards particularly.

I cannot help thinking of Ken Dodd tickling sticks.

Stryker said...

Cheers Ross, the only thing better than Guards in blue is Guards in red!

Stryker said...

WM - could be ibuprofen as they will certainly be a pain to the French!

Stryker said...

Mark - that's it, they are now officially 'The Kings Diddy Men'!

The Archduke said...

They are indeed magnificent, Ian. The plume thing is tricky, isn’it? I decided to embrace it decades ago and have my Leib Hussars in full dress too. The Guard Fusilier battalion, with black plumes, look much less Doddish. Anyway, it gladdens my heart that your favourite unit is now Prussian.

Stryker said...

Thanks Nigel, it was always the Prussians really!

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

I'll simply echo everyone else. . . Very crisp, impressive, and wonderfully painted and presented figures.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Phil said...

What a lovely and impressive uniform, great job on the Guard!

Stryker said...

Stokes & Phil thanks for your comments!

James Fisher said...

Not surprised, who doesn't like a good dunny brush?!

Superb painting, Ian.

'Lee. said...

Another fine unit Ian.

Stryker said...

James, I had to google that but I can assure you the lads would never use their headgear for such duties!

Stryker said...

Thanks Lee!

Anonymous said...

Excellent looking unit

Paul

Aly Morrison said...

A beautiful unit...
I look forward to seeing them in action.

All the best. Aly

Matt said...

They certainly look the part.

It would look like a pillow fight if the enemy aimed a little too high!

lewisgunner said...

Oh and Microsoft’s share price has grown 125% since 1987!!!
That’s why Bill Gates is the richest man in the worl and we are wargamers.