Sunday 5 January 2014

Old Guard update (2)

I’ll start by wishing a belated Happy New Year to all of you who still take the odd peek at this bog and especially to those who have left comments, emailed me or sent figures or photos during 2013. I’d also like to apologise for the lack of posts of late – it’s quite annoying when a blog you are following suddenly dries up but I will try to do better in 2014.

A quick count shows me that I painted 28 Hinton Hunt foot figures and 1 cavalry figure during the whole of last year – surely my lowest output since this project began. This is not because I have lost interest - far from it - but for a variety of other reasons including ‘real life’ and my other wargaming interests.

My modest aim for this year is to bring the French forces up to strength so that they are well placed to face Roy’s Russians should they venture south down the M5 again. I’m now over halfway through the Old Guard unit of firing figures and I’m hoping that Lee will help me out by painting up another unit of Line Fusiliers and some cavalry. This would give me a core of 7 French infantry units that could be expanded into a Grande Armee of 10 units if I add the Nassau, Austrian and Prussian contingents. It remains to be seen if this can be achieved before the snow melts and the Russian bear stirs.

10 comments:

Rafael Pardo said...

Nice job. It's not easy to paint those damned white uniforms!
Good wargaming!

Stryker said...

Thanks Rafa - yes I do find outlining
black on white is tedious but the final result with the full massed unit usually justifies the time spent.

lewisgunner said...

I like it that Ian delineates white on white cross belts and waistcoat edges with a thin black line. It is the classic hH painting style. Over the years I have tried various styles from the realistic (no black lines as they are not there in real life, to the impressionistic , light grey strokes, but in the end I have a sneaking respect for those rather toy-soldierish thin black lines. unfortunately my eyesight will no longer direct the brush to leave that deft delineation.
It is particularly difficult when the figure has a white uniform with coloured facings and then superimposed over the facings are two vertical pack straps and a horizontal cross strap joining them, plus two diagonal white belts for bayonet and cartridge box. If I attempt to black line them we soon get into a thick black area underneath all the strapping that wipes out the coloured facing.
What I was not so happy with when using the black lining technique was the practice of using black strokes to indicate folds in the clothing such as creases behind the knees. this is better done by shading with some darkened paint.
Anyway Ian , lovely paint job on those grognards.
Roy.

Stryker said...

Hi Roy - I paint the lines with the aid of my magnifying glass but generally have to touch them up at least twice! The hardest figures to paint this way are Austrians as too much black on white can make them quite cartoon like although they look ok from a normal wargaming distance.

DeanM said...

Excellent painting on these Grognards!

Stryker said...

Cheers Dean!

Paulalba said...

You have done grand with your collection Ian!
Hope you have more time in 2014, we all get a bit bogged down at times.

All the best for 2014 to you and yours!!!

P.s. I seen your French in action at their new home you will be glad to hear, always nice to see figures that 1 gamer doesn't need getting a 2nd life.

Cheers
Paul

Stryker said...

Thanks Paul - glad to hear that those Frenchies are in action once more!

the Archduke said...

Can I weigh in on the black lining discussion? My device is to paint the whole figure with a black wash and then pick out the uniform colour and straps, leaving the black edging in place. Where this is too tedious (Austrians) I paint the jacket first and then the straps again in black followed by white , as before. Works for me, and easier than outlining the straps afterwards.

As a newcomer to this site, which I have followed with great pleasure for some time, can I say how good it is to greet other guys with the right priorities in life?

Nigel

Stryker said...

Thanks for the comment Nigel.

My usual method of linning is to do pretty much as you say and paint trying to leave the black undercoat to form the outlines. I then go back and touch up the lines as required and usually the other colours too. It can take quite a long time to finish each figure but the finished item is normally satisfying - to me anyway!