Friday 10 May 2024

More Allies for the Duke

Having completed the Belgians I decided I need one more unit of  allies for the Anglo-Dutch OOB. As I now have Belgians, Nassauers and Brunswickers I fancied a go at some Hanoverians. I know that bascially they are the same as British line but I do like painting units in red and as I have a fair few castings in the lead-pile it's a no-brainer.

BN/3. Private (casual pose)

I like this pose and have been wanting to paint a full unit of them for a while. This was one of the first British figures to be sculpted for the Hinton Hunt Napoleonic range and is very slender compared with later offerings but possesses bags of charm in my opinion.

On a different topic, I have recently gone through my collection of Miniature Warfare Magazines I bought in the period 1968 to 1974. I don't have every issue but there are many articles that I found inspiring back then and it is quite a task to plough through them looking for something in particular so I have taken the time to index my favourites.

During this process I found the advert below that I find intriguing.

This appeared in the October 1973 issue

I can't remember ever seeing any photos or other information on this event - anyone have any info?

Finally, if Hinton Hunt painting is a little slow here over the next couple of weeks it will be because I have embarked on a crazy solo refight of Gettysburg over on my ACW blog (click here).

16 comments:

Rob said...

I agree the guy has bag of charm but do you have an equally relaxed set of command figures to go with him?
Now off to Gettysburg...

Stryker said...

Rob, sadly there are no relaxed command figures although I would say that the drummer is a bit laid back!

Donnie McGibbon said...

He certainly has charm in bucket loads, a lovely figure and what's not to like about red uniforms, great stuff.

Matt said...

I believe he is based on this Union ACW figure:

https://findthatfigure.blogspot.com/2008/08/us-8-union-north-zouave-private-casual.html

He is a more slender chap than his Napoleonic counterparts (I have a few of them and they are very nice).

MSFoy said...

He looks great. Since I know hardly anything about the Hanoverian army, I had a bit of a read. Interesting. I like the green facings - Verden Light Bn? The note I read said that this unit had Portuguese shakos, which is all fine, and would be the earlier barretina type hat (on which the Belgic shako was based, I think) - I guess that the surplus Portuguese kit came from a big warehouse in Lancashire!

Look forward to seeing this unit progressing.

Stryker said...

Thanks Donnie!

Stryker said...

Matt, yes the ACW figures were the first as I believe Mr Hinton was more into ACW than Napoleonics. You can see how it would be a simple animation from the basic dolly with outstretched arms to one standing like that with a musket. There are no other figures in that pose in the whole Napoleonic range!

Stryker said...

Tony, they will be the Field Battalion Verden which my source (Mont St Jean.com) has as a line battalion wearing Belgic shako. Their regimental flag looks as if it will be a bit of fun to paint but we'll see!

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

The Bremen-Verden Battalion you say? A sound choice! Your sample figure is a handsome fellow by the way. Eager to see the finished unit when it appears.

Kind Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Thanks Stokes!

Aly Morrison said...

A fine looking chap Ian… And a nice choice of facings.
I look forward to seeing the finished unit…

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

Thanks Aly, glad you like him!

Wellington Man said...

I love him! You'd be well within your rights to paint them with white tropical-service shakos, btw, although they'd stopped wearing them by 1815.

David said...

I absolutely love the fire engine red you use for your British/Hanoverian uniforms. I can see why you like painting them! Thanks for the link to your ACW blog as well and to Matt for the link to the original ACW iteration of the figure. Not that he is relaxed, but BN8 makes for a good command figure for these. DT used that figure and modified it slightly to be the ensign colour bearers as well.

Stryker said...

WM, yes I did ponder the idea of the white shako for a bit of a change!

Stryker said...

Thanks David it certainly is an unusual figure pose and useful too!