Friday 5 January 2024

Man the trenches mes amis!

I finally went to see Napoleon last night with Mrs S and my daughter and can report that despite my low expectations I rather enjoyed it. I knew in advance that it was going to be full of historical inaccuracies, but I have to say that the photography, costumes, and overall atmosphere was excellent. My companions enjoyed it too even though their knowledge of the subject matter was pretty thin (actually that probably helped).

I came away not entirely sure what Ridley Scott was trying to do. I read that he has had a lifelong fascination with Napoleon so clearly must have read some of the actual history and probably the military history too. It seemed to me that with the battle scenes he was going for a sort of Game of Thrones effect with lots of tents, flags, snow and individuals rushing around, only the White Walkers were missing. Napoleon himself came over as a bit of a loner (and rather stupid according to Mrs S) with no hint of the charisma he clearly must have had in real life.

Not tonight, but thanks for asking.

I did manage to sit through most of the battle scenes without hyperventilating at the strange interpretation of events, but I had to give up at the portrayal of Waterloo. Even Mrs S (who has walked the field) did lean over and ask me if they really had trenches and what had happened to Hougoumont? I did actually start sniggering as the French lads went over the top and Wellington told his infantry to prepare to receive cavalry by rushing forward in line, although to be fair the squares they eventually formed were probably better done than those by Bondarchuk. The Prussians arriving on the British right flank was a nice touch too.

"Charge!" If you want a job done properly...

Despite all that I did enjoy it as a cinematic experience and all three of us loved the comic ending when Napoleon fell off his perch.

11 comments:

Rob said...

Thanks for that. Still not seen it but I do intend to as I reckon on enjoying it despite the nonsense much as you have.

Stryker said...

Rob, definitely worth seeing, just deep-breathe during the battles scenes!

Wellington Man said...

My favourite bit is when the French officer yells "Over the Top, Lads!" as they leave their trench lines at Waterloo.

The Emperor-as-a-budgie death scene is a comic masterpiece, second only to Monty Python's glorious re-imagiing of Napoleon as a mouse, reaching for a slice of cheese from inside his tunic.

Stryker said...

WM, the mouse sketch, you have a good memory!

Independentwargamesgroup said...

I think you are the first to give a favourable review of what was for me a horrendous cinematic travesty. I could make excuses when John Wayne was cast as Genghis Khan, I smiled at Tony Curtis praying to Odin but this is the 21st century, where cinema can in theory create a true epic through digital progress. Personally I think Scott should accept he is gaga and pack up. The only bits that were acceptable were the uniforms, Josephene and Miles Jupp as the King wtf? of Austria. There was no plot, no characterisation for anyone apart from the rutting fool Napoleon and Josephene who should have put a pillow over the buffoons head. Still it takes all sorts I suppose.

Stryker said...

Robbie, I do largely agree with you although strangely I did actually enjoy it (but not as a historical/war film). However, I very much doubt I would ever watch it again which says something I guess!

Nigel Shackleford said...

Thank you, Ian, you have resolved any doubts that may still have lurked. I was sufficiently in awe of Olivia Coleman to put up with the travesty that was the Favourite, but that is as close as I shall deliberately venture to the marmalisation of history. I recall hearing Mr Scott saying that anyone who went to the cinema to see history was beneath contempt. Here's to the Old Contemptibles.

Stryker said...

Nigel, Ok I'll let you off but you will regret it next time you charge the Toscana's at my Old Guard in their trenches!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Sometimes it pays to put one's serious mind away when watching a movie.

To be honest, I'm glad that the closest cinema is an hour away and charges extortionate prices, made the decision easier to wait and maybe rent it on line one day.

Stryker said...

Ross, probably a smart decision if it’s an hour away! I did hear that it will be available soon on Apple TV with an extra hour added (it is already and hour too long) but I’m not sure it would be a good experience on the small screen.

David said...

Thanks for this review Ian. It gives me some hope that the film will at least be visually appealing and entertaining. That's really all I require! I'll have to queue it up soon.