Monday 10 July 2023

The Eve of Waterloo

Well almost, actually we're playing the game on Wednesday but today with Goya's assistance I finished setting up the table. I can't believe it's almost a year since we last played a game of Muskets & Marshals in the Hut, how time flies.

Not quite on the scale of Vintage Waterloo but we will still have upwards of 900 figures on the table.
The playing area is my maximum 8' x 4' and the troops are drawn from mine and Goya's collections.

I think I did say you can never have enough FN5 Fusiliers!

Now who left them out front?
Goya just completed this excellent Airfix Papelotte conversion.

And on the subject of wargames, last week I was fortunate enough to be invited to Tony's for a full-scale trial of his Corporal John rules for the War of the Spanish Succession. As always Tony's table was stunning full of beautifully painted Les Higgins figures. I won't attempt a narrative but here are a few photos to give you a flavour of the game.

Another of Tony's amazing looking tables. I played the Franco-Bavarians (nearest the camera) and he played the Allies.
Mt left-wing cavalry just itching to get across the stream but that was to prove difficult.

My lads go forward in the centre aided by some very useful Command Cards.

Some intense cavalry action on the right flank - a whirl of sabres/
My elite cavalry on the hill just before they delivered the coup de grace.

It was nice to win a game (although only just) after the recent drubbing at Goya's.

11 comments:

MSFoy said...

Waterloo field looks marvellous. Terrific job.

WSS photos - at last, you have convinced me that I must upgrade my old camera. I must ask you about this on Wednesday. I'm looking to get one that doesn't have a cloth to go over my head.

Rob said...

FN5s rule! French line always looks super on the table. PLEASE don’t leave us hanging for too long awaiting the AAR.

Stryker said...

Tony, with any luck you’ll get to throw away the finest cavalry in Europe!

Stryker said...

Ok Rob!

the Archduke said...

I still don't know what I'll do to the enemy, but...come to think of it, I don't know who the enemy are. Where are the Tuscan dragoons?

Stryker said...

Nigel, they’re off fighting Groucy I would imagine!

Wellington Man said...

What an incomparably splendid sight! I have full confidence in the Emperor, naturally.

Stryker said...

WM, I have full confidence too but at the moment I’m not sure who he is!

Norm said...

Fabulous.

Stryker said...

Thanks Norm, battle report to follow soon!

Aly Morrison said...

A beautiful looking table… I looking forward to seeing how the battle goes…

All the best. Aly