Friday 16 September 2022

Royal Fusilier – Test Figure

A few years back when I first started collecting figures for this project, I won a mixed batch of Hinton Hunt on eBay that included a unit of British Guards in bearskins. I rejected these figures and eventually swopped them because of course the Guards didn’t wear bearskins at Waterloo. I wish I’d hung on to them because my feeling now is - so what if they didn’t?

BN/72 Fusilier Private (charging) - test figure for my next unit.

I was really pleased therefore to recently be offered some British Fusiliers in bearskin that are ex Eric Knowles collection. Nice first-generation castings and enough to make a full unit using the charging and firing figure types. Again, it’s unlikely that the Fusiliers (other than possibly the Sergeants) wore their bearskins at Waterloo but certainly the Victorians didn’t have a problem representing them that way.

Here's the proof from the Victorians - they DID wear bearskins at Waterloo!
And at Corunna of course...

At first, I was planning to designate the unit as the 23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers but when I looked at the Hinton Hunt painting instruction sheet, I saw that Marcus Hinton had decided on the 7th Royal Fusiliers so that’s what I’ll be calling them. Of course, the 7th didn’t make it to Waterloo because they were away fighting in America, but I won’t let a little thing like that stop me using them.

Boer War Blog - if 20mm Colonials is your thing take a look at my latest post (click HERE)

18 comments:

Rob said...

I wish I'd known - I sold 26 Fusliers on eBay back in July for less than a £1 per figure including an officer and colour sergeant. I assume you have all you need? I might (stress might) have an odd non-ranker knockng around - but I may be wrong.

Stryker said...

No worries Rob, back in July I didn’t even know I needed them! I have more than enough for my needs but thanks for the offer.

Aly Morrison said...

Ian…Clearly you have indisputable proof for the bearskin… the Victorian’s as we all know , we’re never wrong🤔

If the Guards did wear the bearskin in action…it would only have been the Grenadier Company…
As far as I know the Guards as a whole only got their bearskins after the Napoleonic Wars.

I have a bag of unwanted Hinton Guards in bearskin if you are interested.

All the best. Aly

mojoworking said...

Why let historical fact get in the way of a nice looking collection? If we were going to be accurate most of our toys would be wearing greatcoats and have oilskin covers over their shakos. How much fun would that be? My own 23rd are in bearskins, in fact only yesterday I did a head-swap from a spare fusilier onto a Newline drummer so I could add a musician in a bearskin to the ranks.

Stryker said...

Aly, Marcus Hinton was something of an expert on uniforms and chose to model his Guards and Fusiliers wearing bearskins. I think that possibly they did have bearskins for full dress even during the Napoleonic Wars but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the offer of Guards but I think I'll wait and see how I get on with the Fusiliers first!

Stryker said...

Mojo, I contemplated a head swop for my drummer but in the end have converted a charging figure and added a Newline drum, also used two charging figures for standard bearers!

mojoworking said...

I am lucky enough to have two spare fusilier officers which I have converted to standard bearers, they and the drummer have been promoted to the front of the painting queue. These will probably be the next post on my HintonHull blog when they are finished.

Cheers

Dave

Aly Morrison said...

Re… The Guards Bearskin…
According to Wikipedia (so mostly correct)…

Following the Battle of Waterloo, all members of the newly named Grenadier Guards were permitted to wear the bearskin.This privilege had previously been restricted to the grenadier company of the regiment.In 1831, this distinction was extended to the other two regiments of foot guards (Coldstream and Scots) in existence at that time.

Good enough for me… I will certainly be having some in my collection…😁

Wellington Man said...

I share your sentiments wholeheartedly, Ian! And besides, Marcus's fusiliers are absolutely cracking figures, as you have once more magnificently demonstrated. An absolute riot of colour and variety is what vintage wargaming is and was all about. Good on you!

David said...

What a striking looking figure he makes. A whole battalion of them will be downright intimidating!

Simon said...

Funny how we collectors go through similar dilemnas. I too have an ebay (lockdown) purchase awaiting. I bought them to add variety to the British contingent having avoided them years back because of the bearskin. Age mellows!! Mine will become the 23rd. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Stryker said...

WM, they are indeed very nice figures. The unit will have a front rank of firing figures and a rear rank of the charging ones. I have an officer and sergeant for command to join with my converted drummer and colour bearers - should look quite colourful when finished.

Stryker said...

Thanks David, nice to have a unit in bearskins to take on the Imperial Guard!

Stryker said...

Simon, you're right time does mellow, a bit like how I now prefer the OPC cavalry to the more nicely sculpted 2-piece ones. Good luck with the 23rd!

James Fisher said...

Bearskins for sure. Wargaming figures are a representation, do 'em as you like!
Regards, James

Stryker said...

Will do James!

Anonymous said...

Half way through painting 7 regiments of HH Austrian cavalry, fantastic figures.

Stryker said...

That is impressive, i’d like to see a photo of those when they’re done!