Thursday 1 April 2021

5th Chevau Leger Lancers

The old 3rd Chevau Leger Lancers have been refitted and expanded and are now battle-ready as the 5th Chevau Leger Lancers. There is nothing quite as dashing on a wargames table as a unit of lancers and these ones do look quite spiffing with their newly issued, blue-faced uniforms.

I painted five of these from scratch (including the converted trumpeter) and the other seven were originally Don’s handiwork but now heavily reworked by me. The result is a bit of a mishmash of styles with no black lining but I’m more than happy with the finished look. The figures are:


11 x FN/118 Light Horse Lancer in crested helmet (mounted) charging
1 x FN/320 Light Horse Lancer (converted to trumpeter)

The 5th are currently on patrol ‘somewhere in Wiltshire’.

16 comments:

'Lee. said...

Just lovely Ian, especially the trumpeter conversion in that eye catching blue coat.

Wiltshire eh ? Well I didn't think they could have been landed on the Kent/Sussex stretch of coast as it's protected by Martello Towers all the way along within shouting distance of each other so they have slipped ashore elsewhere.

Stryker said...

Thanks Lee, you're right that those Martello towers were a bit of a put off!

MSFoy said...

They look marvellous Ian. Any trouble in the ranks between the old and new contingents? Your comment on taking care to get a consistent style between retouched and painted recruits is very relevant to my painting at present!

Stryker said...

Tony, I didn't have any colour matching problems because I ended up pretty much repainting them anyway which makes it all a bit pointless! I think it is probably not the best way for me as I don't think I saved much time other than striping and undercoating. However, I was keen not to discard any of Don's paintwork if it was possible.

Rob said...

If there's any justice in the World they'll need repainting after the impending clash on the Hampshire-Wiltshire border. Actually that will be a shame as they look so pretty - but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs and my troops are ravenous.

Stryker said...

Rob, We all know that the British heavy cavalry are the noblest in Europe but the worst led!

Wellington Man said...

Very dashing indeed, Ian!
Best regards
WM

David said...

I can't decide what is more fun, the beautiful cavalry or the smack talking! Nice work Ian. May they have a glorious first outing.

Rob Young said...

Nice figures, like the colour scheme. Certainly works.

The Archduke said...

I seem to remember that the worst led cavalry have a score to settle with these glamorous gentlemen. Does their upgrading to full regiment not leave a squadron of lonely Chasseurs?
You can see why they’ve invaded. Don’t get grass like that in France, eh?

Stryker said...

Thanks WM!

Stryker said...

Thanks Rob, very French I think.

Stryker said...

Nigel, you have been paying attention - the expansion of the Chasseurs is currently under way!

Stryker said...

David, I'm sure they will do well in their first action(!).

Aly Morrison said...

Very pretty Ian...
One of my favourite Napoleonic units/uniforms...

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

Thanks Aly!