Tuesday 9 February 2021

More 1745 British (Off Topic #30)

I have spent a good part of today staring out of our kitchen window as our neighbour’s car across the lane has gradually disappeared under a layer of snow now 8 inches thick. It’s getting to the point where we probably couldn’t get our own car down the lane even if there was somewhere to go.

With a forecast of minus 7 Celcius tonight (and it always gets 2 degrees colder here than the BBC says) I took advantage of a short break in the weather to remove all my paints and the painting tray from the cabin so I could set up work next to Mrs S’s jigsaw puzzle workstation in the kitchen (“do you really have to bring all that in here?” – “YES” I answered).

I'm going for a 1:20 figure to man ratio which makes Semphill's Foot 20 figures strong. The Grenadier companies were split between the flanks so there will be 2 figures at either end of the line. This will mean they are over represented but they will look pretty.

I did manage to finish up the first ‘base’ of Semphill’s Foot a couple of days ago. I have really enjoyed painting these, but they were more time consuming than I hoped (I’m always over optimistic about how long it will take to paint something). My plan is to base the British infantry in 4’s on 40mm x 40mm bases. At the moment the figures have a layer of gloss varnish but I’m not sure yet of the final finishing or basing style.

Finding any information on the backs of the Grenadier caps has proved more difficult than the fronts so there is some artistic licence here.

I will be returning to the Hinton Hunts soon but I have a few items for my Boer War project to complete first.

18 comments:

Rob said...

That was brave, I hope it's not now as 'frosty' in the house as it was in the shed?

Stryker said...

Rob, yes it was brave but we’ll have to see how the evening goes!

Mark Dudley said...

I do like the Crann Tara and Minden figures. I have painted a few myself. Are you planning on doing Highlanders and painting tartan as well?

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

They look fantastic! And that shade of scarlet is simply wonderful. I may very well swoon over it.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Mark, I’m working up to painting tartan but will be attempting it!

Stryker said...

Stokes, the red is the aptly named Foundry shade ‘British Red Coat’. I only use the A and B shade!

Aly Morrison said...

They look lovely...
I quite like the shiny... it doesn’t look out of place at all.

All the best. Aly

Matt said...

They are lovely (and the blurred 20's in the background are tantalizing!).

'Lee. said...

Hi Ian, Brrrrrr, can see why you moved back indoors! Lovely painting on those wonderful castings, again really strong vibrant colours. In my opinion they are the best out there for the period, talking of which if you ever need any uniform info for the early to mid 18th century then Old John's your man, without a doubt. I asked him yesterday for details of the 'Wild Geese' Irish in French service for the 6mm's I'm painting and he duly replied with half a dozen plates!

Stryker said...

Aly, I’m currently thinking gloss varnish but with a textured base, I think the gloss brings out the colours best.

Stryker said...

Matt, yep they will be appearing on the Boer War blog soon!

Stryker said...

Lee, I may just do that! I have quite a few references but they always seem to miss some vital detail.

James Fisher said...

This off topic seems to be quickly becoming 'topical' Ian!
Beautifully done, yet again.
Regards, James

The Archduke said...

These fellows are beautiful. Never mind the snow, the real question is..how goes painting in the kitchen? I don’t like to boast, but I have permission to put my dettol pot on the radiator. It wasn’t doing anything outside. Goya said it wouldn’t...

David said...

I will display my ignorance for all to see - which conflict are these lovely figures destined to serve in?

Stryker said...

James, yes it does but I will be returning to the Hintons shorty! I

Stryker said...

Nigel, that is impressive. The painting in the kitchen has progressed without incident although there has been some talk of painting the actual kitchen which is not so good. We still have a foot of snow on the ground but the freezing weather is on the way out so I may be back in the cabin today!

Stryker said...

David, this is for the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745, it is a period I have been fascinated with for some time but this is a low key project!