Friday 21 August 2020

Fall in the 49th Foot

The Hertfordshire’s are now based and ready for action. It has taken just over six weeks to complete them which is pretty good going for me. I’m pleased with the overall look of the unit and with the flags in particular.


All the figures used were vintage Hinton Hunt castings most of which had never been painted before. They are:

18 x BN/5 Private (charging)
1 x BN/2 Sergeant (charging)
1 x BN/8 Officer (standing)
1 x BN/12 Drummer (playing)
1 x BN/13 Ensign Regiment Colour
1 x BN/14 Ensign King’s Colour Bearer
1 x BN/90 Light Infantry Officer (charging)


Years ago, I was inspired by the photo’s of the 1965 refight of the Battle of Waterloo featured in Featherstone’s Advanced Wargames. One picture shows a British unit in line composed of the same advancing figure and I remember at the time wishing I had some (I never did buy any British figures from Hinton Hunt because my limited funds went exclusively into raising a Prussian army). It has taken quite a few years but I now have a unit of my own!

25 comments:

'Lee. said...

One word Ian....beautiful!

Rob said...

They are lovely but showing a certain propensity to form column during the photo-shoot - they will need to get that out of their system before facing up to Boney's legions.

Stryker said...

Thanks Lee, nothing quite like a line of redcoats!

Stryker said...

Rob, you're right they need to do more drill!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi IAN- Well done indeed on this Regiment-beautifully painted- sometimes waiting so long for a favorite Regiment can be a real thrill. Great work. Cheers. KEV.

Independentwargamesgroup said...

I remember the photograph, I think they may have been attributed to the late Peter Gilder who staged a couple of versions of Waterloo that year. A lovely unit.

Stryker said...

Kev - you're right worth waiting for!

Stryker said...

Robbie - Glad you like them. The book attributes the photos to the re-fight at the Duke of York's HQ.

MSFoy said...

They are stunning Ian. You're not going to let them go out to fight, are you? Excellent. Rob's perfectly correct - the army will need to stick to roads 150 yards wide, so they can move about in line.

Stryker said...

Tony - I will be keeping them in the second line behind the Brunswickers!

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

I think I'm in love. Beautiful brushwork as usual.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Thanks Stokes!

David said...

I now understand why Wellington Man has become enamored of the thick cast on flags unfurled from telephone poles. Somehow you have managed to make them not only charming, but stunning! The whole unit is a tour de force of skill. Well done sir!

Jeffers said...

Lovely stuff. There is just something about gloss green that grabs me!

Stryker said...

David, they are an acquired taste to be sure!

Stryker said...

Cheers Matt!

Stryker said...

Jeffers - gloss green is the way to go!

Wellington Man said...

A tour de force, Ian!

Best regards
WM

the Archduke said...

Zum Teufel, I thought he said "grass green". I can only echo the chorus of admiration but I wouldn't give odds on their staying behind the Brunswickers for long.

Stryker said...

Thanks WM!

Stryker said...

Nigel - just long enough to bring up the Scots Greys!

Mark Dudley said...

I am impressed that you can turn out such a nice unit in 6 weeks. My KGL are becalmed at the moment but I hope to get back to them soon.

Aly Morrison said...

A really lovely looking unit Ian...

I look forward to seeing them in battle... let’s hope that they are not bullet magnets...

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

Thanks Mark, not quite sure how I managed it!

Stryker said...

Aly, that is inevitable!