Tuesday 11 June 2019

Brunswick Artillery

Hinton Hunt never made any Brunswick artillerymen, so I’ve had to resort to the dark art of head swapping to create some. The donor bodies are all British Horse Artillery and the heads are from various odds and ends of Brunswick infantry I had lying about.

There was just one Horse Artillery Battery present in the
Brunswick contingent during the Waterloo campaign. 
And one Foot Artillery Battery.

I’m quite happy with the Horse Artillery figures but the Foot Artillery heads are a bit big for the rather spindly RHA bodies resulting in quite a menacing pinhead look. The guns are on loan from the French, apparently the canny Black Duke sent his artillery chief to an auction following the Battle of Leipzig where he snapped up enough captured French guns to equip several batteries.

For C&CN we need two guns and crew per battery so mine
will be combined for the game.

So, I can hear you thinking “hey, those aren’t Prussian – what’s he up to?” well I can only blame Goya for this distraction. Next week he is hosting a C&CN game of Quatre Bras and we were short of a Brunswick battery for the OOB. A battle report will be posted here in due course.

18 comments:

Wellington Man said...

They are absolutely brilliant, Ian!
I am also secretly plotting black-clad gunners, but they won't be Brunswickers...
Best regards
WM

Rob said...

I think the heads look fine - also think you've done a nice job their faces; and anyway now we'll get a QB AAR!

Stryker said...

Thanks Matthew, I'm intrigued by the prospect of your own black-clad gunners!

Stryker said...

Rob - there should be quite a few HH in the game as Goya has been working flat out and produced some very smart Belgians!

Matt said...

You are worrying unnecessarily, they look darn good from my angle!!

Stryker said...

Cheers Matt!

MSFoy said...

They look great - excellent job, sir.

Stryker said...

Thanks Tony, I hope they fight well for you (or not if you are on the French side!).

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Yep, they look wonderfully (What's the word once used to describe the Brunswick Corps in the Waterloo Campaign?) "morose". Well done!

Best Regards,

Stokes

KEV. Robertson. said...

Very nice conversions there- Well done Ian.

'Lee. said...

Nothing wrong with those Ian, they look great to me. Are you a driller and pinner? They look a very good fit.

Stryker said...

Stokes - I believe that Lady De Lancy described the Brunswick Corps as an "immense moving hearse" which conjures up quite an image!

Stryker said...

Kev - thanks for that!

Mark Dudley said...

Nicely done.

Fred will be pleased to see artillery being added to his command.

I have some spare Les Higgins RHA that I could try a similar conversion.

Matt - are you thinking of doing some Lutzow artillery ?

Stryker said...

Lee - drill and pin, I actually quite enjoy it now although it does feel sacrilegious cutting the heads off vintage castings!

mojoworking said...

You can only see the difference in head size in side-by-side close-up photos, and then only because you pointed it out. I think gloss varnish is great on figures wearing black uniforms with black lace/frogging etc, it helps the detail stand out. Nice job!

David said...

Painting the all black of Brunswick uniforms, especially in this scale is such a challenge, and you have done a fantastic job, especially with the conversion work necessary to make it happen. I struggled with my modern 28mm Brunswickers, I can only imagine the pain these pall bearers of the moving hearse caused you!

David (miniature minions)

Stryker said...

Thanks Dave & Mojo - the photos make the uniforms look darker than they actually are. I painted them with a 50:50 mix of black and dark grey but perhaps this is too dark, I'm still not sure but they'll have to do!