Wednesday 4 July 2018

Head Wardens

I needed some command figures for my new unit however as I have no Landwehr officer figures I decide to convert some from regular line ones. This involved a head swap which is not something I have ever attempted before and proved a bit fiddly as I don’t really have all the right gear. In the end I used a padded mole-wrench to hold the decapitated heads while I drilled them and it seems to have worked quite well.

One of the donor figures was of the thin variety which has given the new figure a bit of an odd pinhead look. I’ll be using this one as the standard bearer and hopefully the flag will attract attention away from this when he is completed.

The officer figures used are PN.1 Officer (charging) with heads from a couple of charging Landwehr figures who were missing their bayonets. They were all Clayton castings so no vintage figures were harmed in the making of these conversions.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the conversions, will look good with the rest of the battalion.

Paul

Stryker said...

Thanks Paul, I'm quite proud of them!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Nicely done.

I confess that with a little 20/25mm figure like this I'd probably have cut down the shako, filed or cut the diameter of the shako stump down a tiny bit and then made the top with epoxy putty. Can't believe I used to head swaps on 15's.

Mark Dudley said...

My limited conversions have all so far been on recast figures. I am however planning to do a head swap on some spare Hinton British Fusiliers, using Rose figures doner heads, to make some regular British elite Company figures.

Your converted figures look good and using the same head as the Landwehr infantry will help them blend in with the rest of the unit. I hope my planned head swap will be equally as effective and I dont end up creating a Frankenstein.

BTW Your new Landwehr Officers remind me of the bus conductors on the old London red buses I used to get to school.

Stryker said...

Ross - I think for me that would have been more difficult. Head swaps on 15s you must have had good eyesight!

Stryker said...

Mark - from my boyhood recollections bus conductors were more friendly than traffic wardens!

Wellington Man said...

They are excellent, Ian!
Do you have a drummer?
Best regards
WM

Stryker said...

WM - I'm not going to do a drummer as my other Landwehr unit doesn't have one and I don't have any drums anyway!

Don said...

He says that now

Rob said...

Have you posted the HH catalogue somewhere on your site? WM pointed me at your blog. Also do you run Great British Yarns?

Stryker said...

Rob - The catalogue is not on the site but if you email me (address on my profile) I may be able to help. GBY is my wife's business!

Anonymous said...

Here’s a listing.

http://www.vintagewargamingfigures.info/rblack/index.html