Friday 2 August 2013

The Eagle of the 9th

No, I haven't come across a whole load of Hinton Hunt Romans (although wouldn't that be nice?) I am referring instead to my completed Eagle-bearer for the 9th legere. This is the third one of these figures that I have painted for this project (there is a fourth one that Matt did for my Swiss for which I am eternally grateful) and I noticed whilst tackling this one that my eyesight is definitely deteriorating because I found it a bit of a struggle painting on the battle honours.

Marcus Hinton went to all the trouble of inscribing the honours Austerlitz, Friedland, Essling, Jena and Wagram on the flag of this model and I have faithfully tried to pick out the lettering each time I’ve painted one. While peering through my specs and magnifying glass and trying to apply gold paint with a shaky hand, I was reminded of the character Alfred E Neuman from MAD magazine in the 60’s and his line “anyone crazy enough to read this is crazy enough to inscribe the words 'What me worry' on the head of a pin”.

The figure is FN4 Colour bearer charging. Click on the image to zoom in and see the lettering on the flag!

15 comments:

Mosstrooper said...

I applaud your dedication sir !

Rafael Pardo said...

Nice figure (a 'chinese work' in Spanish slang) but I believe that French Light regiments do not carry the eagles in battle ;-)
Regards
Rafa

Paulalba said...

Very nice Ian!

Stryker said...

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Rafa - I wish you'd told me that about the Eagles before I spent time painting this one!

lewisgunner said...

Not so Rafa or this incident could not happe.

The 7eme Legere marched into Russia as part of 3eme Division (Gerard), I Corps d'Armee (Davout). At Borodino on 7 September 1812, 5 battalions of the regiment confronted the Great Redoubt under Gerard's personal control. Marching out of Russia, a survivor of the 7eme Legere observed his comrades gathering around "our Eagle, the staff of which had only a rag of cloth...and despite having had one of its wings carried off by a bullet at Eylau, soared above these disasters like a holy rallying sign".

The battle honors of the 7eme Legere Regiment included Jena, Eylau, Eckmuehl and Wagram (and Borodino?).

Now maybe in Spain because those guerrillos are a light fingered lot. But the bird of the seventh flew at Eylau and in Russia.
So have quiet confidence in the justice of your cause Ian.
Nice figure.
Roy

Anonymous said...

A rather splendid piece of work-I second the applaud on your dedication (I also in recent months have been informed that I seem to be squinting a lot when reading and need my eyes tested. Sadly I have to agree).

Stryker said...

Hi Matt - it's a slippery slope once you pass the big 5-O ! Time to up-scale to 54mm...

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Well, miniscule lettering and the veracity of a standard for light infantry notwithstanding, he and his flag look magnificent.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Fire at Will said...

Excellent work, I remember the figure well, I have some still in my collection

Will

MSFoy said...

Great job, Ian - I like him. Impressed by the lettering, though - to be pernickety, Basingstoke is spelled with a 'g' in it.

Not sure whether to mention this, since it might be a hangover from my recent visit to Berchtesgarten, but the standard bearer isn't Hitler, is he? Nah - can't be...

Cheers - Tony

Stryker said...

Tony - that's not 'Basingstoke' its 'Berezina', my hand must have slipped...

'Lee. said...

Another cracking little figure Ian, the flag is very good too!

Are the Guard up next?

Stryker said...

Hi Lee - The 9th legere is now complete and just need basing so I can confirm that the Guard will indeed be next. Progress will be slow though due to a lack of painting time at present so bear with me!

James Fisher said...

Your efforts well worth while, he cuts a fine figure!

Stryker said...

Thanks James!