Friday 16 November 2018

Leib-Battalion in progress

Since painting the Black Duke I’ve been slowly plodding away at the Brunswick Leib-Battalion to give him something to lead and/or rally. I’ve always wanted to have a unit of Brunswick infantry and these figures (acquired back here) have been waiting way too long in the painting queue.

The drummer is a conversion of BRN/4 knocked up for me by
the very talented Wellington Man. The Avant Garde Officer is
BRN/40, this figure didn't appear in my 1974c catalogue and
may even be a Clayton production.

Half the unit will be made up of BRN/5 Private (firing), and the other half are BRN/4 Private (charging). There will also be a smattering of officers including one from the Avant Garde just to spice things up.

BRN/4 - there's a bit of swagger to this chap!

I’ve just passed the halfway mark and the reasonably rapid progress (for me) is helped somewhat by the black uniforms. Although, having said that, there is some fiddly detail like the horses painted on the packs. The uniform colour is a 50:50 mixture of black and Foundry 34B which gives a subtle difference between the coat and the cross-straps although that may not be easily seen in the photos.

22 comments:

Rob said...

I like 'em - I can't make out the difference between the 'blacks' but being nice and shiny often obscures small differences - it covers up lots of my sloppier bits.

Stryker said...

Rob - yes it is quite hard to see, in retrospect I could have gone a bit heavier with the grey in the mix.

'Lee. said...

Very nicely done Ian, and that drummer conversion is a clever touch.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

I really like these guys, both the sculpting and the painting.
It may be my imagination but I can see a contrast between the black crossbelt and lighter black uniform on the single advancing figure.

Rob said...

What's changed? Just saw on Unfashionably Shiny that there was an update only 36 minutes old - got here looking forward to another treat and nothing....?

Stryker said...

Lee - WM is the master of HH conversions!

Stryker said...

Ross - yes just, it's a bit clearer in real life!

Stryker said...

Rob - not sure maybe a slow refresh?

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Very handsome figures!

Best Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Thanks Stokes!

Anonymous said...

Lovely looking figures, a nice unit to boost the allies.

Paul

Stryker said...

Thanks Paul, this will take Wellington's force to 7 infantry units with just 1 more to do to take me to the full 8 units I'm wanting.

Wellington Man said...

Leib Soldat: "Sir, these skulls and crossbones....
Officer: "Yes, soldier?"
Leib Soldat: "Doesn't it mean we're the Baddies?"
They are terrific, Ian!
Yours
WM

Stryker said...

Thanks WM - I'm hoping they will look suitably menacing when massed in battalion!

Aly Morrison said...

Very stryking.... ;-/

I’m looking forward to seeing the finished unit.

All the best. Aly

Simon said...

I think you're right about the avant guard officer. I thought it was odd that he appears in my old Clayton catalogue without any other ranks to keep him company. I've searched in vain for compatible avant guard models from other manufacturers.

Stryker said...

Simon - yes, it is a bit odd. I suppose at a push you could use Tyrolean Jagers?

Stryker said...

Actually, looking at the Hinton Hunter, Clive has a listing for BRN43 Avant Guard charging so there may still be some out there!

Unknown said...

That's interesting as there's no avant guard at all in my c1975 catalogue. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I do have a few Tyrolean jagers and have been toying with using those as suggested. I still have the original painting instructions with a slip signed by Marcus Hinton "remainder to follow soonest" - sound familiar?

Stryker said...

Ha ha, yes very familiar reading as you worked your way through the flash-encrusted figures to work out what had been sent. My friends who bought from Miniature Figurines would receive and paint an entire army while I waited for one order to be completed! But the down side for them was that they had, er,..Minifigs.

Anonymous said...

Not HH but here are some Avant Garde figures which should be compatible.

https://www.schilling-figuren.de/index.php?cPath=1_8_12_19&XTCsid=c174caa855dbc69d50c91621670c3ac0

Simon said...

Thanks for the tip re schilling-figuren. They are indeed compatible and I now have a battalion worth ready to add to my perpetual painting project. I've never seen so many pose variations.