Friday 20 October 2017

Prussian artillery – WIP

I’ve had a few evenings on the trot where I have been able to spend an hour or so painting with the result that the Prussian artillery recruitment drive is progressing quite nicely. There are a total of 12 figures on the go with half of them more or less finished and this will give me 3 extra batteries.


I‘ve also been working on some Prussian guns from Newline Designs. I think the Newline models work well as they sit halfway between the undersized Hinton Hunt ones and the rather nice Hinchcliffe 20mm ones. This batch as you will note includes a howitzer for variation although there is no distinction between these and regular guns in my rules.


The final item on the desk at the moment is a trumpeter conversion of a British Light Dragoon BN/50 Light Dragoon (mounted) charging, wearing bell top shako and French style blue coat with coloured facings. This conversion doesn’t include any clever stuff with a soldering iron just a bit of brass rod, Super Glue and Magic Sculp.


Previously my 6 figure squadron of Light Dragoons were combined with the Brunswick Hussars to form a single unit. However since the latter have recently been expanded to a full unit I need to increase the dragoons by a further 6 figures.


Update: Goya got in touch yesterday and pointed out that the gunner’s tools should actually be painted the same colour as the guns. Now I did know this but had decided to go with natural wood because I had done so for my other Prussian battery. This is also a bit of a hangover from years back as a teenager when I always painted all guns brown because I had no information and natural wood seemed logical. Anyway as you can see I have updated the tools.

13 comments:

the Archduke said...

Prussian gunners. Always a good thing. These look particularly nice figures, and obviously particularly well painted. Now, I recall you saying that you don't much like the HH light dragoon figure. Has this splendid fellow won them any cachet in your estimation? I think he's just genius. I have to do a regiment of KGL next and I shall take inspiration from this chap.

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Lovely brushwork as always! The Newline Napoleonic 20mm line is sorely tempting. Were but time and money. . . and time again less limited. But, we can enjoy viewing your collection vicariously in the meantime.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Nigel - you're right I wasn't a great fan of this figure although generally speaking I'm a fan of the one piece castings. Matt G painted the 6 I have already so I've never put brush to one before however he has grown on me during the process of conversion. These figures were cast for me by John a few years back and for some reason I left all the flash metal on the master (I think for the full retro experience!). The master, which is an original figure, will be included in the current batch of 6.

Stryker said...

Ah Stokes, I know that one day you will be tempted back to the light and embark on a 20mm Napoleonic project - I will wait for the day!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Very nice artillery crews! But...

I really like that trumpeter! Should paint up nicely.


(chanting under my breath "I don't do Naps, I don't do Naps...")

Wellington Man said...

There is something very business-like about your gunners, there, Ian. Very nicely painted.
Best regards
WM

Stryker said...

Ross - how about just a small Napoleonic army? Go on you know you want to!

Stryker said...

Cheers Matt!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Nope! If I ever backslide, I'll revisit the French Rev but bigger and shinier than my old 15mm ones.

although..... I do have a box of small 25mm PA Waterloo moulds that a friend gave me

lewisgunner said...

I wouldn't worry too much about brown guns and rools. In 1813 the Prussians expanded hugely and thus it is likely that kit was rushed out in all states of preparation.

Stryker said...

Roy - I know you're right but I guess if I'd known back in the 70s that they should be painted blue I would have run with it!

caveadsum1471 said...

Your Prussian artillery crews look great and your dragoon figure looks really nice .
Best Iain

Wargamer Stu said...

I've always liked the look of Prussians en masse but it needs discipline to paint them as the uniforms are very similar. Doing a large force of 28mm Perry's I used to "reward" myself with a character figure every 12th one (drummer, officer, sergeant etc) just to keep myself going. Mixing in some gunners is nice though as the poses are all different.