Thursday 12 October 2017

Muskets & Marshals – the final cut

Following the last game I decided it was time to get around to revising my rules Muskets & Marshals to incorporate various ideas, suggestions and clarifications since the version we used for Vintage Waterloo. The updated rules don’t include any radical new ideas being more of a tweak to iron out a few glitches and hopefully facilitate game play.

For those of you who have tried the rules before I’ve summarised the main changes below:

Movement
There is a reduction in line movement rate to 4”.

Reserve Movement
The non-initiative player moves his reserves first to give an advantage to the initiative player.

Counter-Charging
Counter-charging cavalry now receive the melee charge bonus.

Melee
An infantry unit that loses a melee against charging cavalry immediately breaks and routs – added “but not if it is an un-disordered square”. A unit losing 2 consecutive melees will rout unless defending a BUA

Multiple Melee – this is defined as follows: All melees are fought one on one during the initial turn of fighting regardless of formation. In the subsequent round a second unit may join with a flank or rear attack although this unit will not receive a charge bonus. The player with two units rolls the dice for his lowest rated unit of the pair plus 2 extra dice.

Morale
Introduction of a -1 for troops receiving fire from close range British volley fire (a volley is defined as 12 figures firing at a single target). This is to give British troops a good reason to fight in line and not just because the Duke keeps losing!

Pursuit
Becoming disordered after a pursuit is now on a die roll rather than automatic. A pursuing unit coming into contact with another enemy unit will melee but without a charge bonus.

Built up Areas
These are now properly defined in the rules. Up to half of the occupants of a BUA may fire from any side of the BUA (replaces the rule that 12 figures may fire). There is now a limit of 24 to the number of troops who may fire into a BUA.

Troops Types
I have extended the listings to include all the types in play. These can of course be varied by scenario if desired.

Mass Battles Rules – Firing I have removed this section as to my knowledge it has not been used in any of the large battles we have played.

Thanks to Stuart, Goya and Roy for their input.

10 comments:

Mark Dudley said...

I have printed a copy and will peruse the new version as my bedtime reading.

The amendments look good and make sense.

Stryker said...

Cheers Mark - I hope you like the rules!

Anonymous said...

Is it correct that there is no firing penalty when disordered?
Rob

Stryker said...

Rob - disordered troops fire at half effect (the rule is tucked away below the morale results table at the top of page 5).

Matt said...

I will read them with interest. I trust Silesian Landwehr get a +10 for firing still?

Stryker said...

Matt - Silesian Landwehr have a whole section to themselves!

Wellington Man said...

I can't wait to give these a go, Ian. I guess I'll need some British infantry!

Stryker said...

Of course Matt, or if not then Silesian Landwehr is the way to go!

mojoworking said...

Look forward to having a go with these rules once I've finished assembling a few viable units.
Quick question, I see you have 'Column' and 'March column' movement rates for artillery, just wondering what the difference is between these formations?

Stryker said...

Hi - March column means road movement for artillery. Sorry this isn't explained - do drop me an email if you have any other queries (my email address is on my profile)