Monday 7 August 2017

Old Guard test card

Due to an unexpected burst of enthusiasm for my Boer War project nothing much Hinton Huntish has happened for the last couple of weeks. I did however stumble across this photo taken during the run up to Vintage Waterloo which for some reason I don't think ever made it onto the blog.

It shows the entire infantry of the Guard deploying near La Belle Alliance at the start of the test game. There are 10 battalions, all Hinton Hunt, and what a fine sight they made. The unit nearest the camera in the back row are my very own 2nd Regiment de Grenadiers-a-Pied de la Garde Imperiale. All the other units are from Roy’s collection including the rather nice wagon with Cantinière.

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. 

14 comments:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

A grand sight ! , Tony

Conrad Kinch said...

Splendid - I have that cantiniere.

I don't have the OG though :)

Matt said...

I do believe that they are the same troops who stole my victory last summer?

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Vive l'Empereur!!!

Stokes

Mark Dudley said...

Stirring sight and one that must have filled the British commanders with trepidation during the Waterloo refight.


Lee said...

10 Battalions of 24 Hinton Hunt figures..... Wow, what a sight!

Stryker said...

Thanks for the comments chaps!

The photo is from the 'test' game Roy and I had before the main event and in that one the Guard didn't get into action but still looked rather intimidating. During the main game they looked unstoppable from the British side of the table until the Foot Guards took aim that is...

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Magnifique! A sight to stir a Wargamer's Heart!

MSFoy said...

Fabulous - that photo is exactly like the pics out of the old Charles Grant Napoleonic Wargame book - pictures I drooled over for years, I might say. Pictures which dramatically reshaped my ideas of what a wargame should look like!

Stryker said...

Tony - yes, I count myself lucky to have taken part in such a game.

Wellington Man said...

Are those my Guard Voltigeurs in the far corner? I was there is spirit then!

Stryker said...

Ah yes Matt, they were there - the best turned out unit on the field!

Anonymous said...

The Guard en masse, wonderful!

Paul

Stryker said...

Thanks Paul, under my rules this is something of a steamroller but then it should be shouldn't it?