Friday 18 August 2017

Legere time

These six French Voltigeurs are part of my current effort to upgrade all my old 18 figure skirmish units to full 24 figure units. They are destined to join the ranks of the 10th legere (click here) once they have been issued with blue coats and breeches.

I’ve enjoyed painting these as they have a very colourful uniform with their “short tailed coats, waistcoats, knee breeches and short tasselled gaiters” as per the Hinton Hunt catalogue description. How can you not like yellow over red plumes and yellow tasselled gaiters?

Technically I think this uniform is for the elite company of a light infantry battalion but I’m happy to field these as a complete unit in my French army. This is another unit that has lacked table time due to its current basing as skirmishers so hopefully they’ll be making more of an appearance in future.

9 comments:

the Archduke said...

These guys are very smart indeed, Ian. I do admire your neatness of style. As for big red and yellow plumes, I hesitate to use the word gay, but no wonder that fellow in khaki is skulking in the background. This is not the legere outfit I misused at your birthday battle, is it?

Stryker said...

Hi Nigel - no I believe it was their friends in the 9th legere who have slightly less flamboyant outfits! These guys however could get jobs as Noddy impersonators.

Wellington Man said...

An old-school army that didn't have a gratuitous battalion or two of French voltiguers with gigantic red and yellow plumes just wouldn't be right, Ian! There's almost always one photobombing the troops in the foreground in those famous set pieces staged by Peter Gilder.

Stryker said...

Good point Matt and I heartily agree!

Matt said...

Very smart indeed, definitely full of the necessary Frenchiness required!

Stryker said...

Yes Matt - very Frenchy!

Wargamer Stu said...

Very nice uniforms - as I remember the headgear did vary somewhat between battalions for the various leger units. My trusty Funcken shows the Carabiners in both shako and busby. It think some also wore the old republican style bearskins at one point. So lots of lovely uniforms to try ;-)

Stryker said...

Cheers Stuart, by a strange twist of fate these lads are about to do battle once more in a skirmisher role!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

I've always liked the look and these fellows wear it well!