Thursday, 12 September 2013

First Grumbler

This is my ‘test’ figure for the firing pose unit of French Old Guard Grenadiers that I will be painting to represent the 2nd Regiment of Grenadiers.


The figure is listed in the Hinton Hunt catalogue as a Grenadier of the Old Guard 1804/15 in Guard Bearskin, long tailed coat, waistcoat, knee breeches and tall gaiters – FN/23 Grenadier (firing). In my opinion this is one of the best examples of Marcus Hinton’s work and was a pleasure to paint.


I’m also making good progress with the command group of figures for this unit but next I will have to knuckle down to the more tedious task of painting the remaining 20 identical figures – not that I’m grumbling.

10 comments:

Matt said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! Very glad to see them under way.

Anonymous said...

A very nice figure indeed. I enjoy your blog and have started on my own 20mm Napoleonic project. I was originally looking at GDB but I am thinking of following your style of units. Hopefully using ART miniaturen figures only.

Cheers
Paul

Kev said...

Hi IAN- excellent painting of the OLD GUARD- good work- like your new Blog Page Setup too. Regards. KEV.

Rafael Pardo said...

A true 'vieux grognard'!

Markus Schenk said...

great model indeed.
And a nice paint job. Sadly these old chaps are next to unoptainable here in Germany

James Fisher, FINS said...

Nice painting Ian. The interpretation of the bearskin by various sculptors is always a point of interest. I particularly like the 'big' bearskin on this fella.

Stryker said...

Thanks for the comments chaps!

I'm hoping I can progress a bit faster with this unit than I have with the last few I've painted...

lewisgunner said...

Beautiful pint work Ian. It is a great little figure and you have brought it to life.

Paul, an army of Art Miniaturen... i am impressed.
Roy

lewisgunner said...

A further comment,
It is nice to see the undress cap that is rolled up under the cartridge bok painted. Smart work. mine usually end up black!
Roy

Stryker said...

Roy - not only that but I even painted the white straps securing it! Well this is the Guard...