Over the last couple of evenings I have begun the long overdue task of sorting through my Hinton Hunt lead pile. Task is perhaps the wrong word as of course this is unadulterated geeky pleasure. It’s one thing to have the collection neatly listed on a spreadsheet (and of course I do) but quite another to actually sort through the figures for real.
I decided to do this primarily to get the figures ready for packing prior to our move next month but I also thought it was about time that I sorted them out properly into units to help give me more structure to this project. So I’ve been sorting the infantry into companies of 6 figures and bagging and tagging them and have already had a few surprises – some figures incorrectly identified the first time around as Clayton castings turned out to be vintage HH and (sadly) some vintage figures turned out to be copies.
When I started this project I never really expected to have enough figures for a decent wargame but the thing has snowballed and with the assistance of many other helpful and generous HH fans the armies have grown. The one big problem that remains is my lamentably slow rate of painting progress which means it will be years before I finish them all. One thing is sure though, I won’t be adding any more figures to the collection (in fact I haven’t bought any for well over a year now) and by fixing a proper goal I may just see the project all the way through to the end. When I work out what the end is I’ll let you know.