Friday 26 March 2021

The Napoleonic Invasion of Britain 1969

Back in the late 60s and early 70s I had a subscription to Miniature Warfare Magazine, the first 'proper' wargame magazine produced by John Tunstill. The content of the magazines was of variable quality and went downhill dramatically after 1971 but every now and then there would be something published that caught my imagination.

The January/February 1970 issues carried such an article entitled The Napoleonic Invasion of Britain by Bletchley Wargames Group. That sounds like a fun game I thought, Napoleon invading the green and pleasant land and the British throwing him back into the sea! At that point I didn’t have a British army or even a French one for that matter, so I never got to try out my own invasion, but the idea stuck in the back of my mind.

Having recently stumbled on a link to the Murat Maps I thought the map of Southern England would be perfect for an attempt at this piece of 70s nostalgia. Better than the map used in the original game, which was a modern Ordinance Survey Map - somehow ordering Ney to “advance up the A24 and take the second exit from the Horsham roundabout on to the A264” never really did sound right to me. The Murat Maps (click here) are a great free resource with potential (perhaps one day) to provide the basis for a huge Napoleonic campaign.

So, fortunately Rob has agreed to be my opponent in a play-by-email version of the campaign, and I’ll fight any resulting table battles as solo affairs. For hidden movement without an Umpire we will be using a 21st century version of Featherstone's 'Matchbox' system using the tabs on an Excel spreadsheet instead of matchboxes.

I have split the OOB’s for each army into quite small forces in the hope the campaign will throw up some interesting smallish scenarios that should be fun as solo games. I’ll see how we get on and keep you posted.

20 comments:

Graham C said...

Ha, just finished reading these articles. I managed to buy a full set of Miniature Warfare from John Tunstill a few years ago. Lots of nostalgia and some great scenarios.
Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
The Murat maps are great I sue them all the time.
Enjoy

Stryker said...

Thanks Graham, I still have all my original magazines from 1968 through to 1972 some of the few wargame things I have from that time!

Matt said...

This sounds good to me.

I will be getting the coffee and marmite toast out to read the news from the front!

Stryker said...

Matt, surely you mean marmite croissants as I will be playing Napoleon!

'Lee. said...

Sounds like fun Ian. Do take care not to trash Maidstone and mind the one way system or you will be marching round in circles!

Stryker said...

Lee, Rob has chosen to play the British so I will be the invaders. The problem is if I choose Folkstone as my invasion site then Maidstone is rather strategically placed - might be an idea to pack away your best china!

Rob said...

Aha! Publishing your plans in your bulletins will cost you dear. I have made my preparations and will defy you even amongst the ruins of Maidstone, fighting until not one stone is left standing if that is required to keep this green and pleasant land free from your tyranny.

Stryker said...

Rob - Maidstone, Tonbridge, Dartford, all will be reduced to ashes except possibly the branches of Gregg's as an army must march on its stomach.

Rob said...

On your stomach is where you will be soon, grovelling at my feet.

Stryker said...

Ha, so where is your navy then?

Wellington Man said...

Ah, Dartford. I woke up there once at 2 o'clock in the morning after falling asleep on the train from Charing Cross. This is what used to happen after going to the pub "for a swift one" with my fellow museum curators. Happy days.

I'm all for a French victory. New Zealand, one presumes, would then have been colonised by the French, which would have done wonders for the cuisine.

Whatever the case, I hope we'll be treated to full details about the map-movement system and your intriguing matchbox/spreadsheet device.

Best regards and Vive l'Empereur.
WM

Stryker said...

WM, I can't give too much away during play as the British have eyes everywhere but a full report will appear eventually!

Rob said...

I don't think it will escape the notice of the great British public that Equality has slipped down the running order in terms of the offer to them. No doubt, in the 'Monster's' own words, "some ... will be more equal than others" ... Oink, Oink!

Stryker said...

I'm sure the Brits would rather have a genius as leader than a mad man, although maybe not...

David said...

The Murat Maps are a wonderful resource. Our group did a fun online campaign in Poland trying to push back those pesky French at the beginning of the pandemic. I felt sorry for the gentleman running it though, as he had to set up and photograph the battles on a turn by turn basis. I can't imagine how much work that was! I am sure you will have it down to a science though Stryker!

On a lighter note, I love how Matthew is willing to betray his erstwhile countrymen on the off chance of getting better cuisine in New Zealand. Now that is thinking with your stomach!

Looking forward to hearing about the battles.

David

Mark Dudley said...

I still have my copies of that magazine including the Bletchley articles. I remember playing a campaign, using an old OS map, of a French Invasion of the Isle of Wight set in 1744 using plastic Spencer Smith figures.

I am interested in how you using excel to run the campaign and the Murat maps are excellent.

Stryker said...

Thanks David, I don’t intend to fight any battles turn by turn the idea is that Rob will make his deployments and issue orders and then I fight the game solo, we’ll see how it goes.

Stryker said...

Mark, I will do a post on the excel concealed movement system. It is a fairly simple idea but does rely on both players being honest!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Ooh, this sounds good, looking forward to reading how it unfolds...!

PS, Check out the (free) Berthier Campaign Management system for another handy way of handling the hidden matchbox method.. very (very) much recommended..

https://sites.google.com/site/berthiercampaignmanager/

Stryker said...

Thanks Steve I'll check that out!