Saturday 2 January 2021

6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons

The 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons played no part in the Peninsular War but did see action at Waterloo where they formed part of Ponsonby’s Brigade. They took part in the famous charge against D'Erlon's corps on June 18th fighting alongside the Greys and 1st Royals although unlike those regiments they didn't manage to claim any French Eagles that day.

My own tribute in miniature to the Inniskilling’s has taken quite a few years to complete. I bought the first four figures from Mark way back in 2008 and the next two came from Clive soon after. For many years they fought as an amalgamated unit together with six DK Dragoons I received from Don


The recent acquisition of five more vintage figures has allowed me to expand them to a full unit. The figures are all vintage ones that I have stripped and painted. The bugler is a conversion from DK 825-215 British Dragoon (I noticed a bit too late that the bugle is resting right between the poor horse’s ears). The figures are:

11 x BN/40 Dragoon (mounted) trotting in helmet with flowing horses tail plume
1 x DK Dragoon (converted to bugler)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are magnificent! May they destroy Napoleon's dream of empire....

Rob said...

Great to see a full unit of vintage figures - they look very business-like, but did they not use greys for trumpeters? I suspect those damn North British types nicked all the greys.

Stryker said...

Thanks Anon, let's hope so!

Stryker said...

Rob, I read that after 1813 the trumpeters rode the same colour horses as the other ranks in all the British cavalry regiments.

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Yep, magnificent is an apt description. Lovely figures!

Best Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Thanks Stokes, there's just something about red uniforms.

Wellington Man said...

They look like they've just come back from another pleasant day of oppressing the labouring poor, Ian!

Just lovely (the troops, that is, not the oppressing).
WM

Stryker said...

WM, I fear that Peterloo would make for a rather one-sided affair for these fine fellows!

Rob said...

Thanks, I didn't know that I must find out more - I do tend to paint what I think is right without checking often enough and I'm often mistaken.

Aly Morrison said...

A lovely looking unit Ian...
Maybe under your command they will get their eagle...

All the best. Aly

'Lee. said...

Must be a great feeling to finally bring the unit up to full vintage strength after 12 years. They look suitably magnificent, really strong vibrant red. Was not aware of the fact re post 1812 trumpeter horses so something new learned there, luckily all mine are pre 1812 but I'll keep that in mind for the planned 100 days expansion. All the best for 2021 Ian, and may your magnificent collection continue to flourish.
Lee.

Stryker said...

Rob, I found the info on TMP so I can't verify it for sure!

Stryker said...

Lee, I've been pleased to bring the unit up to strength, I have several other 6 figure cavalry squadrons that I will be reinforcing in the painting 'plan' for 2021.

Mark Dudley said...

Now they are up to strength perhaps you can set up a small game and see if they can capture an eagle.

Stryker said...

Mark, I may just give that a try!

David said...

A magnificent grouping for sure with a delightful narrative. I love the way you feather in the socks on the horses by the way. Very nicely done

MSFoy said...

Just great, Ian - the poor old Inniskillings are fairly rare on the tabletop, probably because they had a restricted CV? Certainly I had a unit of PMD Inniskillings, which I painted up in the late 70s, and I eventually re-did the facings (green, I think) so they would be more useful for my Peninsular activities. I eventually gave them away - silly fool that I have always been!

Good to see them - lovely paint job, as ever. Always an inspiration.

James Fisher said...

Another lovely unit of dragoons Ian.
Regards, James

Stryker said...

Aly, I hope they will at least get the chance to have a crack at getting one!

Stryker said...

David, painting horses is not a strength of mine so they are stylised and the feathered socks is something I do to give them a bit of interest - not sure it is very realistic though.

Stryker said...

Tony, like the Grey's the Inniskillings sat out most of the war at home only seeing action during the 100 days. Like the Grey's their casualties were very high at Waterloo, probably trying too hard to make up for it!

Stryker said...

Thanks James, they certainly brighten up the table-top.