Saturday 4 July 2020

Hinton Hunt Paint Along – 49th Hertfordshire Regiment

Quite by chance both Mark and I completed a unit of Old Guard Grenadiers last month and he suggested that we try and coordinate a future Paint Along as a way of keeping motivated. So, we are currently in the process of painting a British Line Infantry unit each although I fear Mark has stolen a march on me – click here.

This is the test figure for the unit - BN/5 Private (charging)

I have painted him in accordance with the Hinton Hunt painting instruction sheet as a member of the 49th Hertfordshire Regiment. I’d wanted to have a unit with green facings, so this was a happy coincidence.

The 49th was an interesting choice made by Marcus Hinton because the Regiment served in Canada throughout almost the whole period of the Napoleonic Wars and never faced the French in either Spain or at Waterloo. However, I could use them to represent any unit with green facings so this doesn’t really matter.


20 comments:

Rob said...

With all the Garde units around I reckon he's wishing he'd been left in Canada.
He does look like he's steeling himself for the original.
So if Mark takes 10 minutes to do the whole on one figure how long does it take you?

Stryker said...

Hmm, bearing in mind I'm painting from scratch probably an hour and a half!

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

A very handsomely painted specimen in any case.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Mark Dudley said...

Rob.

It takes me 10 minutes to do just the white on one figure. I only wish I could paint a while figure in 10 minutes.

Mark

Anonymous said...

That should've said how long to do the white not "whole".

Stryker said...

Thanks Stokes!

Stryker said...

The white would take me a good 20 minutes as there is a fair bit on the back of the figure as well!

Anonymous said...

What line of paints do you use?

Stryker said...

Wargames Foundry acrylics.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi IAN- nice painting of the Infantry man - a unit will be just super with the green facings. I like your work on the Hintons. Cheers. KEV.

Wellington Man said...

Just fabulous, Ian. No one captures the spirit of a Hinton Hunt quite like you do.

I've a yen to paint the 8th Foot, as it happens, who were also in Canada. They had blue facings, so could conceivably pass as guardsmen or KGL at a pinch.

Best regards
WM

lewisgunner said...

Paint Austrians!, no silly piping! OK just ignore Hungarian trouser lace.

Don said...

I have a thing for the War of 1812. Did it in 28mm skirmish. Just the part where French speaking Quebec Militia in red coats are shooting up English speaking lads in blue coats. - Don

David said...

Oh my but that paint really pops! What a marvelous job you have done, and only 23 more to go....

The Archduke said...

WM has it right. This chap is the essence of vintage Hinton Hunt. Why does nobody paint the 9th, though? And as for “just painting
Austrians” was fur ein Wurst hat der Kerl in seinem schlusselloch gesteckt? My Hungarians, who, of course, do not understand a word of the foregoing, would not get out of bd without their natty yellow and black intertwined piping......

Stryker said...

Thanks Kev, glad you like the green facings!

Stryker said...

WM, that's nice of you to say so but probably not true although I still get a lot of enjoyment from painting the little fellows!

Stryker said...

Don, it's a shame Marcus didn't sculpt any Americans for the War of 1812 it certainly would have given me some table time for the 49th!

Stryker said...

David, thanks and also thanks for reminding me about the other 23!

Stryker said...

Nigel, I'm with you - can't believe Roy wouldn't paint the trouser lace! Actually I'm pretty sure HIS Hungarians do have plenty of lace!