Tuesday 21 November 2017

Russian Command

These are the really superb command figure conversions that Matt did for me together with one of his sublime Coke can flags (other soft drinks are available). I can’t tell you how pleased I am to finally have such splendid command figures for my unit of Russian Grenadiers. Marcus Hinton never produced flag-bearers or drummers for the Russian range although David Clayton did later produce some rather inferior ones so having these unique creations is great.

The Russian Grenadiers were the first unit I completed for this project over 11 years ago (before I even started this blog) and back then I never thought I would ever have more than a handful of Hinton Hunt figures. The collection has grown considerably since then but the Grenadiers are still the only completed Russian unit. Fortunately I’ve kept a notebook recording the colour shades used for this project so painting these to blend in with the earlier figures has been relatively easy.

My thanks to Matt for providing this senior regiment with its colours at long last!

17 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Absolutely stunning brushwork all the way around.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Thanks Stokes but the real praise must go to Matt for that flag!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

A joy to behold and contemplate indeed!

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

I do admire your skill with flags.

Lee said...

Lovely command figures Ian, I was not aware you had Russians! Matt's skill with the flags is really quite amazing, and a hand painted flag like that is the icing on the cake for these vintage units.

Stryker said...

Ross - that flag is something and will really set off the unit.

GSS - the flag skill is all Matt's, I only painted the figures!

Lee - My Russians haven't had much of a showing which is why your may have missed them. I hole they will get more table time in future.

Tony S said...

They deserved a top paint job and you have provided one. They look smashing!

Stryker said...

Cheers Tony!

Wellington Man said...

What Tony said, especially the drummer, who was just a leeeetle bit rough around the edges when I sent him to you!

I'm delighted you liked these, Ian.

Best regards
WM

Stryker said...

WM - they're great! I'll be moving onto the Young Guard next.

caveadsum1471 said...

Lovely looking flag and command unit.
Best Iain

Mark Dudley said...

Both figures and flag are nicely done.

I am going to try to make and paint a flag using Matts method.

lewisgunner said...

Beauties, great flag, lovely figures. Nice to see drummers.

Stryker said...

Thanks all!

Roy - they'll be rivaling your Ruskies before you know it!

lewisgunner said...

Ian, 'Quantity has a quality all its own'!
Roy

Stryker said...

Roy - at least now my tiny Russian force would look the part mixed in with your own!

lewisgunner said...

Yours would be the tete de colonne Ian . Those swanky grenadiers guys would be right up there for the emperor to inspect.!
R