Friday 17 November 2017

Dolly the Light Dragoon

It’s all Tony’s fault that I painted these six figures as, if he hadn’t kindly donated the Brunswick Hussars to me, I wouldn’t have had the problem of having half a unit of Light Dragoons spare. Having said that though I’m really pleased to have got to grips with these castings which otherwise may never have seen the wet end of a paint brush.

Hinton Hunt BN50 British Light Dragoon "wearing bell top
shako and French style blue coat with coloured facings".


The reason I may never have painted them is that all but one of them are reproduction castings and I have been trying to concentrate on working through my genuine vintage Hinton Hunt stash in line with the title of this blog. The reproductions were produced a couple of years ago to fill a big gap in my British line of battle namely my complete lack of light cavalry.

Ok quiz time! Which is Dolly and which are the sheep?

When I came to sort the figures out to complete the unit I found that I only had five useable castings so it seemed like the right thing to do to use the original vintage casting they were cloned from to complete the line up. Actually it’s almost impossible to tell the difference between the original and his children and I’m happy with the final result although of course this lot will never qualify to be more than ‘B’ grade in my rules due to their pedigree.

12 comments:

lewisgunner said...

B being for 'bastard ' I presume.. Looking at my armies I cannot tell the purebloods from the miscegenations! They look lovely Ian, just be a proud parent.
Riy

Stryker said...

Roy - I am proud indeed, this repro even comes complete with plenty of flash!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

I like to think of recasts as the sons and grandsons of their fathers, or at the least "men cast in the molds of their forebearers" .

They certainly look well, so let them show their true metal(sic) on the tabletop

Stryker said...

Ross - I like that!

Wellington Man said...

Beautifully done, Ian. The Light dragoons, rather like French line chasseurs a cheval, tend to be outshone by all those flashy hussar types, but they'd be hard pressed against these chaps. Really lovely.
Best regards
WM

Stryker said...

Thanks WM they were tricky customers to paint!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Ian- yet again your talent at painting miniatures comes to the fore - well done! Cheers. KEV.

Stryker said...

Kev, you are too kind!

the Archduke said...

OK, Ian, confession time. After waxing publicly enthusiastic for this figure, I too am painting my first HH light dragoons. I have to agree with you that they are surprisingly tricky. I reckon Dolly is the right marker in the front rank...... Well done for completing them. Let's see if I can get through less than 23 iterations of the robot test this time.....

Stryker said...

Nigel - the original is the central front rank figure but as I said is impossible to tell apart from the others, good luck with your own lads!

caveadsum1471 said...

Nice work, cloned or not!
Best Iain

Stryker said...

Cheers Iain!