Friday 25 October 2013

Old Guard update

A grand total of seven figures completed in six weeks – not very impressive (but I did also paint that Zulu). At this rate I won’t have the unit finished before Christmas which was the goal I had in the back of my mind.

To chivvy myself along I have stripped and undercoated another batch of figures in the pretence of running some sort of production line. The hope is that this will inspire me to paint more although when I’ve tried this in the past it has tended to have the opposite effect. My problem is that I am very much a plodder when it comes to painting and try as I might I just cannot paint in batches of figures bigger than three.

Things may take a turn for the worse as I am committed to painting three divisions of 1/300th scale ACW figures for use in an upcoming campaign that will run on my other blog Brother Against Brother. Of course these tiny chaps are much quicker to paint than the Hinton Hunt's so I’m hoping production won’t be affected too badly.

10 comments:

Michael said...

I know the feeling Ian. My battalions consist of 48 rank and file, 4 Co. officers, 1 or 2 std. bearers, a drummer and a mtd. colonel! Old school or what?
Regards, Michael.

Stryker said...

Michael - Suddenly 24 figures doesn't seem that bad at all!

lewisgunner said...

might I suggest pushing down the musket barrel a tiny tad. At present they are shooting a bit high. It is a common thing with HH and they will look better by slightly depressing the barrel.
Roy

Stryker said...

Roy - I don't really want to mess about with them now they're painted. They'll be fine for shooting Cossacks out of their saddles!

lewisgunner said...

They will have to be classified as light AA then,
.
Roy

'Lee. said...

Coming along very nicely Ian, going to be an impressive unit once completed. As for the high aim, they are in classic re enactment safe firing pose!

Lee.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the pose. The Guard always aimed for the stars!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Congratulations -Always best to concentrate on QUALITY - not Quantity- Keep up the Good Work.

Phil said...

Nice, VERY nice work!

James Fisher said...

They look great Ian. Speaking as a fellow painting 'plodder', keep chipping away, you'll get there!