You may remember that I acquired a hex cloth back in June that I could use for Commands & Colors Napoleonics games with the Hinton Hunts. C&CN and variations (noteably Tony's Ramekin rules) have been a staple of our little group over the last few years. Although, obviously, I like to play games with Muskets & Marshals, this is not always practical where a visiting General may only have a couple of hours or so available to play. C&CN is a good go-to with its short playing time and easy to remember rules.
The mat has 120mm hexes which work fine with my figure movement trays. What I lacked though was a suitable hex terrain system. Cutting hexes from MDF for hills by hand would be a chore too far for me but fortunately those nice people at Warbases (just down the road from us) do this neatly by laser and luckily 120mm hexes are the maximum size the have in their stock range.
I've glued three 3mm MDF hexes together to make some experimental hills. I tried this first time without any clamps which was silly as they turned out more than a little bit skew-whiff. Having purchased some mini-clamps my second attempt has been far better. For built-up areas I've painted 2mm MDF hexes in brown on which I can place a single 15mm building that can be easily removed when the hex is occupied by troops. I did briefly think about making some scratch built buildings that would allow placement of troops inside but this seems like a lot of effort and I'm happy with my solution.
I probably need to make another 10 or so hills and then possibly some river sections.


No comments:
Post a Comment