Friday 27 January 2023

Chosen Men

How about that? A unit painted and completed in less than a month and in temperatures never exceeding 7C in the Hut. Gentlemen, I give you the 60th Rifles.

Here's forty shillings on the drum
For those who volunteer to come
To 'list and fight the foe today

Over the hills and far away

The figures used were mostly vintage castings with two or three Clayton’s for good measure. They are:

1 x BN15 Rifles Officer
1 x BN16 Rifleman (kneeling)
4 x BN17 Rifleman (running)
17 x BN19 Rifleman (firing)
1 x BN20 Rifles Bugler.

Thanks to Tony for furnishing me with some superb castings to make up the numbers on this unit.

The whole Rifle Brigade parading under the watchful eye of Sir Thomas Moore.

In other news, Goya and I managed to play out the CCN basic Waterloo scenario this week. I played the French and was completely trounced 8 to 1 by that cunning fox Wellington, what a drubbing!

The initial dispositions. In this scenario the game ends at 3.00pm just before the Prussians arrive.
My men attack Hougoumont (that might be Foy on that horse!).

That didn't work out too well. Having been used to playing Tony's Ramekin rule version it was quite brutal to play the original rules!

Cavalry Charge - when you have that card you just can't resist can you?

The French army is melting away. The Guard Grenadiers are attempting to attack La Haye Saint (in the mid distance) while just beyond them the Scots Greys are ploughing into my line.

Final positions - it's back to Paris for a re-think.

Where was Grouchy?

19 comments:

Rob said...

A gorgeous unit, was there a reason for the rifles being paler than those used by the 9th?

Stryker said...

Well spotted Rob! The 95th were mostly painted for me by Matt G using his own preferred paints whereas for the 60th I used my standard musket colour.

the Archduke said...

Two rifle battalions, eh? Time to start painting those 80 FN5s.....

Stryker said...

Nigel, you won’t be so cocky with your Austrians now!

Wellington Man said...

A grossly unfair advantage, but they look spectacular!

Stryker said...

WM - in wargaming you make your own luck!

Aly Morrison said...

A lovely looking unit indeed….
And a nice looking game as well…

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

Aly, the game was fun but honestly losing 1 - 8! I’ve played quite a few CCN games now but have never lost so spectacularly…

David said...

Truly a wonderful looking unit of lovely figures. Still didn't notice Sweet William's false teeth though. :) I also love the look of the granite outcrops of rock. Perfect for a Peninsular war setting. Are those home-made?

I've played Command and Colours only once in an American Revolutionary War setting as I recall. I love what y'all have done with the miniatures. It really adds to the setting. I found it a fun game, but then I won and didn't receive an 8-1 drubbing. Is it worth me looking at the Napoleonic version?

Stryker said...

David, I do think the Napoleonic version is worth a try. It doesn’t replace a proper table battle but it gives a good game with a period feel. I like it because it is compact, easily set-up/taken down and has solo potential because of the cards. Also most scenarios can be completed in a couple of hours.

I did paint the false teeth but he has his mouth closed in the photo!

mojoworking said...

To quote Oscar Wilde, "To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness". In this case to have one Rifle battalion may be regarded as a pre-requisite, to have two looks like obsession. Superb figures!

Matt said...

Superb looking figures.

I have played the ACW version of C&C and lost both times!

Stryker said...

Mojo, I think it's quite Old School to have 2 Rifle Battalions just as it is to have 2 Scots Greys Regiments!

Stryker said...

Matt, always good to lose in style!

The extra Rifles will no doubt see off those pesky Austrians next time..

the Archduke said...

Methinks he protesteth too much....

'Lee. said...

A fine body of men Ian and a great addition.

Since Tony introduced me to C&CN over 10 years ago it remains the one tabletop game that I can still enjoy, something about that lovely green board - the graphics in general - and rules that are just so playable yet take a long time to really master. Works so well with 15mm figures like that too :)

Lee.

Stryker said...

Lee, CCN has good potential for solo too but I never found the blocks visually satisfying. Using my old 15mm figures makes all the difference but I do need to sort out some MDF hills to improve the look of the terrain.

David said...

I had never even heard of these and now everyone is doing them - well, Aly and You and apparently Wellington Man too. When did they get created - post 1812 I hope. I don't need any more excuses to look for more figures!

Stryker said...

David, I guess you meant to post this about the Eclaireurs. No worries they are after 1812, Napoleon introduced them after being impressed by the Cossacks in Russia!