Friday 16 April 2021

Chasseur à Cheval and a British reinforcement

Having removed the Lancers from my Chasseur/Lancer unit I was left with 6 Chasseur figures that needed some recruits to bring them up to fighting strength. I didn’t have any more of the 2-piece castings but did have some OPC’s knocking around in the lead pile, so I dug these out and stripped the old paint.

During this process I realised that most of these figures had their plumes removed and those that hadn’t were in such a precarious state that they came off in the bleach. This meant carrying out a rather laborious reconstruction that involved drilling a hole in their shakos, gluing in a small piece of wire cut from a staple and then building up a plume around it with MagicSculp.

I managed to find time to paint up a test figure and work has commenced on the remainder.

FN/122 Chasseur a Cheval of the line (mounted) charging.

Yesterday I had a visit from Goya who came by (in a socially distanced way) to drop off an Art Miniaturen figure he had modified to resemble a nineteenth century version of Captain Mainwaring for use in my ongoing campaign. Mainwaring is CO of the Walmington-on-Sea Fencibles although sadly the rest of the platoon didn’t make it with him (something about a tavern near Chichester).

"Ah there you are Wellington, Walmington-on-Sea Fencibles reporting for duty!"
"Don't tell him your name Pike!"
Mainwaring will add +1 to morale to any British Line unit he fights with.

There is just time for you all to get your best Dad’s Army jokes ready before I post the AAR on the Battle of Southampton.

17 comments:

Rob said...

Love the Chasseur à Cheval, be interesting to see him alongside the two-piece castings to see how they compare. They are my favourite cavalry and he's in my favourite facing colour as well - just gorgeous, I can't wait to see the completed unit.
Captain Mainwaring eh? At first sight I thought he had dark glasses and white cane - I don't know so much about +1 on morale; what I'd really like is -1 on the French artillery to avoid another Salisbury incident.

Stryker said...

Rob, I'll be mixing the 2-piece and OPC's together when I base the unit, its surprising how well they fit together.

You should just be thankful that Frasier didn't turn up as that would have to be a -1 to morale!

Rob said...

Frasier was a crack shot as proven in one episode and a crack shot with a Lee Enfield could be every bit as good as a -1 in terms of containing French artillery.

Matt said...

Mainwaring on the field of battle?

"Do you think that's wise?" (Insert groan here .........).

Wellington Man said...

I love the Chasseur! Are they to be the 6th?

Capt Mainwaring to Pike:
What's that supposed to be?

Pvt. Frank Pike:
You said if we hadn't got anything else, tie a carving knife to a broomstick.

Mainwaring:
I didn't mean that you were to leave the broom at the end of the handle you stupid boy!

Best regards
WM

Stryker said...

Very good Matt, keep 'em coming!

Stryker said...

WM, well spotted they will indeed be the 6th.

Jeffers said...

No joke, but one of my workmates was one of Mr Yeatman’s Sea Scouts. He grew up in Thetford and they recruited local teens for the outside shots.

Love the Chasseur, BTW, but you can’t go wrong with French cavalry. Best bit of the period!

Stryker said...

Wow that would have been better than getting a part in Harry Potter! I grew up not far from there but sadly never got in on the act myself.

'Lee. said...

Hi Ian. Firstly the figure is another little gem. So HH made both one piece and 2 piece Chassuers? Did one replace the other at some stage?

The Mainwearing figure is great. I was watching an old clip from the Parksinson show the other night with Clive Dunn (in character in his 'Sudan' uniform) and Ian Lavender along with Croft and Perry. They were telling some great stories about Arthur Lowe who was a bit of an irascible chap and struggled to learn his lines and kept losing his scripts. They gave him extra copies and David Croft suggested he take a copy home and leave on the coffee table to which he replied " Certainly not, I'm not having rubbish like that in the house" .

Stryker said...

Lee, HH produced the OPC’s first and then went on later to add the 2-piece figures, presumably in response to demand. Personally the OPC’s are my favourite.

I read that in real life Arthur Lowe was almost exactly the same as his Mainwaring character and your story certainly suggests that!

David said...

I am guessing all of these quips have something to do with an obscure British sitcom for which we in the former colonies do not have access. Given such I will confine my remarks to your marvelous chasseur. The sculpted plume is magnificent. I have tried to sculpt some as well and the first half dozen or so looked more like an American football balanced precariously on top of a shako! Well done sir.

Aly Morrison said...

More lovely French cavalry... hurrah!

I love Mainwearing... I would think Pike and Frasier could be quite easy conversions... now you’ve started 😁

All the best. Aly

Stryker said...

David, if we can watch episodes of Bilko I'm sure you can watch Dad's Army!

Stryker said...

Cheers Aly!

The Archduke said...

Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Spencer...?
Now this could give those Frenchies a chance at Southampton. The Duke should send him to rejoin his unit at Chichester.

Stryker said...

Nigel, I’m sure one side or the other will be doomed!