Friday 7 August 2020

Command Group for the 49th Foot

I’ve completed two officers and a sergeant to finish the command figures for the Hertfordshire’s. I enjoyed painting the sergeant in particular as it is a very nice sculpt and it reminded me of the one provided in the Airfix set many years ago – I was bemused back then as a youth as to why there was a pikeman in the box.

I continued my tradition of including an erroneous figure in the unit, this time it is a Light Infantry officer in stovepipe. I’m short of British line officers and as I don’t have a unit of light infantry in the painting queue, I thought I’d use him here.

The figures are (left to right) BN/90 Light Infantry Officer (charging), BN/2 Sergeant (charging), BN/8 Officer (standing). Hopefully I’ll get the unit finished in the next week or two.

15 comments:

Rob said...

I wouldn't worry about the office in stovepipe if Sharp can get away with full 95th rig in the South Essex. With two officers, two ensigns a sergeant and a drummer this is very well officered regiment it should fight really well...

...but why have they come into Hertfordshire to protect us from the French or to subdue discontented populace?

Stryker said...

Sorry Rob, that's classified!

Aly Morrison said...

Very nice indeed...
I particularly like the standing officer...

All the best. Aly

Wellington Man said...

Beautiful work, Ian!

Stryker said...

Thanks Aly, I agree that officer is a very nice casting!

Stryker said...

Thanks WM, nearly there now!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi IAN- Splendid painting there - you'd nearly be finished the Regiment- well done! Cheers. KEV.

Stryker said...

Nearly Kev just need to get geared up for the final push!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Splendid! I seem to recall that light company officers often took liberties with uniform details making the lt inf shako quite reasonable (though I might have expected a green hackle)

'Lee. said...


Nearly there Ian. More great painting, I like the light company officer, he fits in very well.

Anonymous said...

Very nice painting and you are making good progress. I like the LI Officer but the sword he has is like a pirate’s cutlass or a Turkish scimitar.

Stryker said...

Hmm, a pirate cutlass, this will add more to his backstory!

Anonymous said...

Well, they did serve in Dominica and as marines so it is possible that he acquired one.

Mark Dudley said...

You are making far better progress than I am on the 1st KGL. I am still on the second batch of 9 rank and file. I then have the 5 command figures to do. I am also using a BN8 Officer standing, a fifer and a drummer together with 2 standard bearers.

Stryker said...

Don't worry Mark it's not all over until the fat lady sings! Or until the unit is based...