Thursday 30 April 2020

Mustering the Guard

I am slowly (very slowly) working my way through the Old Guard Grenadiers. I’m not sure quite why they are taking me so long as the uniforms are no more complex than regular line infantry. It may be that there are just too many distractions when I come into the Hinton Hut for a painting session. This is perhaps the downside to having all my wargame stuff within easy reach.

I do normally try to be disciplined and have only one unit at a time on my desk but I am failing in this as apart from the Grenadiers I also have a Boer War British unit on the go and some ACW scenery. The Boer War infantry are much less taxing to paint than the Old Guard so it’s natural that I am tempted away to spend my time on them.

That said, I do now have 7 Grumblers painted, just 17 more to go.

13 comments:

MSFoy said...

These chaps are going to be marvellous. Lovely job. Unstoppable, I would think.

Rob said...

They have nothing to grumble about, the paint jobs are incredibly consistent - mine usually have a bit more variability. Also, no need to apologise about painting Boer War figures - I'm enjoying their blog and almost tempted. It's a fascinating 'colonial' conflict where the colonial force outnumber the 'natives' - no need to paint up Impis! If I knew I could do a very quick paint job that I was happy with I think I'd take the plunge - I do like the Jacklex style.

Stryker said...

Thanks Tony, I have certainly weighted the rules in their favour but then they are the Guard!

Stryker said...

Thanks Rob, glad you're enjoying the Boer War stuff. I find the figures a relief to paint after the stress of Napoleonics and am deliberately keeping the style simplistic so I can produce them reasonably quickly.

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

I'll echo previous commenters. Some of the nicest Grenadiers I think I've ever seen anywhere (in any size).

Best Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Thanks Stokes, you can see that Marcus Hinton must have enjoyed sculpting these!

Matt said...

Coming along nicely and looking forward to your new Boers!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Nice work there on the Guards IAN- well done! Doing the British for the Boer War too sounds a Good variation for you. Cheers. KEV.

Stryker said...

Cheers Kev, after a bit of a breather I should be able to go back and paint more grumblers!

Wellington Man said...

I've little to add to what has already been said other than to say that I found these to be quite tricky little figures. They're not as simple as they look. As Rob says, the consistency and accuracy you've achieved is amazing. The final product is going to be wonderful!

All the best
WM

'Lee. said...

Oh yes, they are coming on a treat Ian!

Stryker said...

WM - I'm finding them harder than I thought but I think the finished unit will be passable. Its not really until the troops are based up that you get the full effect.

Stryker said...

Thanks Lee!