Monday 30 March 2020

French 24th ligne completed

I’ve now based up the French 24th ligne so they are officially complete and added to the French OOB. It’s been interesting how this unit has evolved as I didn’t have a clear idea of what figures to use when I started out but I’m happy with the result.


For once all the figures I used were vintage Hinton Hunt castings which after all is what this blog is supposed to be about.

13 x FN/16 Voltigeur 1807/12 (marching) – but without plumes
2 x FN/73 Tirailleur Guard (marching)
5 x FN/237 Grenadier (marching)
1 x FN/236 Grenadier Officer (marching)
1 x FN/8 Fusilier Officer (marching)
1 x FN/4 Colour Bearer (charging)
1 x FN/6 Drummer (charging)


Having enjoyed painting the line grenadiers for this unit I’ve decided that next up will be my Old Guard marching figures that I’ve had in the lead pile for far too long.

22 comments:

Rob said...

Really nice, although some of the guys in greatcoats look a bit browned off with show-off grenadier company stealing all the limelight - would've been brilliant if had a few of then greatcoats as well.

Jeffers said...

I can hear La Victoire est a Nous as I type..!

Stryker said...

Rob, the rankers will have the last laugh come the winter!

Stryker said...

Me too Jeffers!

Wellington Man said...

Fantastic! An excellent selection of figures, Ian. The grenadiers on the flank in particular add a dash of brilliance - a brilliant result all round, I'd say.
Best regards
WM

lewisgunner said...

Delectable mate!

David said...

You are brave indeed to tackle the cast on flags. I could never even attempt the lettering on those. Good for you maintaining the integrity of the figure!

The Old Guard is calling me as well, but alas, I think the rank and file will be cutting line and getting the first crack at painting.

Best,

David

the Archduke said...

It's quite apparent that the left wing is marching through the wintry blast while the sun shines on the grenadiers. And why not, they have the seniority. Great result, Ian. Fab figures forming a very convincing unit. I look forward to firing in its general direction.

Aly Morrison said...

Absolutely beautiful Ian...
They have come together really well...
The grenadiers shine but the also bring the others along with them...

All the best. Aly

Matt said...

Another fantastic looking unit.

Looking forward to the Old Guard.

Stryker said...

Nigel, they will be waiting for you with levelled muskets when the time comes!

Stryker said...

Thanks for the comments WM, Roy, David, Aly & Matt!

Anonymous said...

Another cracking unit to bolster the French ranks.

Paul

'Lee. said...

A nice bright start to my day Ian, magnificent painting and the unit hangs together very well.

Stryker said...

Thanks Paul it takes the French Line Infantry to 10 units I'm not sure if I'll do anymore.

Stryker said...

Thanks Lee glad you like them!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Very nice work there Ian- this French Regiment looks par excellence of Hinton Hunt.

Mark Dudley said...

They look the business and clearly are a veteran unit. I wonder how they will perform in their first game.

Stryker said...

Cheers Kev!

Stryker said...

Mark, I imagine they will probably go the way of all new units and rout!

Iain said...

Nice job Ian. Hope you and yours are staying safe in these strange times.

Stryker said...

Hi Iain, good to hear from you - we're all well here thanks!