Sunday 1 September 2019

Silesian Hussars update

I’ve just passed the halfway mark on the Silesian Hussars with 6 figures completed and the remainder underway. I have enjoyed painting these and for once even the white buttons on the trousers haven’t been a chore, this may be because I have broken in a new paintbrush. I tend to hang on to my paintbrushes for far too long because they become comfortable (a bit like shoes) but when I finally reach for a new one, I’m always amazed at how much easier it is to use.

It’s been quite refreshing to be able to go with mixed horse colours for this unit as the last few cavalry units I’ve painted have had horses all the same colour. The Hinton Hunt painting instruction sheets always specified the correct horse colours which is a detail not often included in uniform books.

The trumpeter is the last of the clever conversions carried out for me by Wellington Man. It was only when I started to paint the figure that I realised he had added a sword hilt to the scabbard and carefully removed the carbine from the riders’ leg. How he has managed to do either of these things so neatly is a mystery to me, but I’m very grateful to have such a lovely addition to the ranks.

13 comments:

Rob said...

They are coming on nicely - I look forward to seeing them pursue those Frenchies off the table.

Stryker said...

So do I Rob!

Fire at Will said...

Looking good !!

Matt said...

They look like they mean business!

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Lovely brushwork so far! And I know what you mean about hanging onto brushes for much longer than one should.

Best Regards,

Stokes

the Archduke said...

Beautiful. My first impression was that the guy on the palomino must be in charge, but he's not, is he? Is there yet more WM magic in that shadowy pursuing ghost squadron? Bit of a bonding thing, that hanging on to paintbrushes too long. I'm guilty as charged. I guess it's part of our shared ocd.

Wellington Man said...

They're coming long splendidly, Ian!
The sword hilt was just a blob of solder if I remember correctly

Stryker said...

Nigel, the only conversion is the trumpeter as I don't have officers in my cavalry regiments. The paintbrush thing is a bit silly as I have quite a few new ones on hand (they always make a good birthday/Christmas present suggestion) but somehow I find it hard to let them go!

Stryker said...

WM, a lovely creation - 'blob of solder' makes it sound so easy!

Rob said...

What no officers? Who calls the tune that the trumpeter plays? Without officers and gentlemen to add a bit of class the noble contest will just descend into an unseemly brawl...

Stryker said...

Rob, every soldier in my armies carries a marshal's baton in his knapsack!

Vintage Wargaming said...

It is of course the cavalry as a whole who lend class to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl, not specifically their officers.

'Lee. said...

Another fine unit in the making Ian, great paint job. The trumpeter conversion adds that extra little touch of class.