Monday 22 October 2018

Ecky Thumped

Whether it’s Eckmuhl or Eggmuhl there’s no doubt that Goya’s Austrians gave the Franco-Bavarian army a bit of a rough time last Saturday. Tony and I were left struggling to come up with a workable plan to dislodge the Kaiserlichs from the villages and woods that provided such a good defensive position. In the end it was a convincing win for the Austrians.

Tony's splendid new DK Bavarian troops advancing on the
village of Unterlaichling. This village changed hands several
times and was the focus of our main attack.
The Austrians wait patiently for the French to come on. They
have a strong position anchored on a line of villages and woods.
The infantry figures in this shot are all S-Range (I think).
This photo shows the French right as the Bavarians near their
objective. They are supported in the centre by French infantry.
The French left flank. These units are all under the command
of Davout. They are pushing up through difficult terrain
(mostly woods). Not much use for artillery or cavalry here.
The Austrian line looks solid and determined and I'm sure they
must have had a few maxim guns because their fire was pretty
devastating (I discovered to my cost that Austrian infantry use
5 dice when firing rather than the usual 4!).
This is about as far as I got before my units started to melt away
and Goya began to rack up an impressive VP score.
For one brief moment Tony managed to take Unterlaichling
again - but it was only brief. The French units in the centre
were unable to make any further headway .
With our infantry a spent force Tony led a mad dash with our
cavalry against the Austrian left. Spectacular, but it was
never going to turn the tide.

Tony had come up with a clever rule amendment that allowed us to play the game without using any cards. The result was play that felt much more like a conventional wargame than the usual C&CN affair.

Marshal Davout now with added gloss.

As for marshal Davout, well he didn’t exactly excel but I have decided to spare him from the bleach bath anyway and, after a touch-up to his paint work, he has been deemed fit to join my other French commanders.

16 comments:

Wellington Man said...

By Eck, I'm definitely painting some more Bavarians now. Gorgeous!
Your Davout does you proud, Ian.
Best regards
WM

Stryker said...

WM - the Bavarians are lovely and it's impressive how many Tony has assembled in such a short period of time!

Rob said...

I’m glad Nicky escaped the bleach bath, I rather liked his comb-over you just don’t see them on the table very often (as opposed to around the table). I’d hate to think you thought I was pushing for it’s demise.
Anyway, enough on coiffures, tell us more about this card free version of C&C?

Stryker said...

Rob - the game variant is still in 'development' and I'm sure Tony will have more info on his blog in due course after a bit more play-testing. The comb-over has grown on me (not actually on me as I don't have enough hair) and I'm quite liking the way he's turned out!

Aly Morrison said...

How lovely and lucky to take part in such a splendid game...

Al the best- green with envy- Aly

Stryker said...

Aly - a game at Tony's is always a real treat!

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Wonderful. I think that sums it up. Its heartwarming to see so many lovely HH figures on a wargames table.It is a real achievement, well done.

'Lee. said...

Great spectacle Ian, and I'm intrigued about the non card variant, it's most irritating when you get stuck with a hand of cards that don't allow you to move anything! Glad you left Davout is he was save for a touch up and clean - he's a real character figure.

Stryker said...

Robbie - these are not just Hinton Hunt but included Les Higgins, Der Kreigspieler, S-Range Minfigs and a few other types, just proves old toy soldiers never die!

MSFoy said...

Trahison! This still smarts - I have tears in my eyes reading your splendid account - also, once again your photos are much better than mine! - did you find the new lightbulbs an improvement, by the way? I found there's this funny switch thing on the wall that makes them much brighter - marvellous what they can do now.

The comb-over has become a classic memory of the day now. I'm glad Nicolas has got to keep his paint. In passing, someone told me that in Japan, guys with comb-overs (combs-over?) are known as "barcode men", which I had to think about for a while, but I decided I like it.

I had a great day - thanks again to you and Goya for making the trip and entering into the spirit of some more fake history!

lewisgunner said...

And it brings a tear to the eye to hear that the 'Save Davout from the Bleach Bath' campaign has succeeded in melting your heart'

Stryker said...

Lee - Tony will no doubt reveal more about card free C&CN on his blog in due course. I'm more than happy with Davout now I have touched-up the paintwork and given him a couple of coats of varnish!

Stryker said...

Tony - your photos are great, I think the new bulbs may have helped a bit especially at the end of the room away from the window. It occurred to me that maybe the previous owner of Davout gave him a comb-over in tribute to Peter Gilder?

Stryker said...

Roy - I'm nothing if not democratic although that does make it difficult to play the part of Napoleon!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

I have heard that sometimes marching bravely to defeat is as grand as winning. or, at least I think I've heard that... anyway the pictures are magnificent.

Those S range Austrians! I've never really taken to the HH but S range figures just give me a jolt of endorphins, especially when well painted in an appropriate style like these.

Stryker said...

Ross - the Austrians belong to Goya (who is indeed a master painter) and the detail on them is superb!