Wednesday 26 September 2018

Glossing the gunners

I’ve finished painting the current batch of eight British Foot Artillery gunners and have just applied the first coat of gloss varnish. I have to say I’m pleased with the result and I hope to have them based up and ready to take their place on the Duke’s firing line by the weekend.

Nigel made a comment recently querying whether the two figures carrying a cannonball were genuine Hinton Hunt or a variation. I was confused on this point myself at first because it seemed odd that Marcus would produce two such figures. However, the mystery is solved as one of them (second from left in the photo) is the ammunition carrier BN.145.

All the other ammunition carrier figures made by Hinton Hunt have a canvas bag on a strap that goes around their shoulders and I was expecting the British one to be the same. The identification is confirmed via the code on the figure base and by referring to the Hinton Hunter.

9 comments:

Rob said...

Lovely, I'd also like to see them in the firing line - please don't leave it too long before we can see them with their pieces, and even better wreaking havoc on the table top.

Stryker said...

Rob - I'll try and get all the British artillery lined up for a photo call at the weekend.

MSFoy said...

Superb job - very attractive. I'm a bit nervous about this wreaking havoc business, but looking forward to seeing them in action.

Stryker said...

Foy - no problem, just make sure you're fighting on the right side!

The Archduke said...

Ah, I think you’ve nailed the issue there, Ian. Splendid fellows, and thanks again for the ammunition carrier enlightenment.

Stryker said...

Thanks Nigel, I'm really please to have these as I've waited a long time for them!

Mark Dudley said...

I find that gloss varnish brings these old figures to life.

Looking forward to seeing your massed British artillery.

Stryker said...

Mark - yes you're right, the best bit is always applying the varnish!

Wellington Man said...

Those are incredibly pleasing, Ian.