Thursday 16 August 2018

Karl Freiherr von Müffling

Karl Freiherr von Müffling served in the capacity of staff officer in the Prussian army for most of the Napoleonic Wars. He was apparently quite good at his job and specialized in topography and cartography which would have been very useful pre-Google Maps. He has made his way into my own miniature army mostly because of his splendid sounding name.

PN.69 ADC to General on horse PNH/1 - as Muffling

Müffling became deputy to Blucher’s Chief of Staff Gneisenau following the death of Sharnhorst in 1813. He was appointed as liaison officer to Wellington’s HQ during the Hundred Days and, if the film Waterloo is anything to go by, played a vital part in the events leading up to the battle. This included putting a damper on the Duchess of Richmond’s ball by arriving in a thunderstorm and leaving the doors open – “gentlemen obliged to ladies will finish their dance!”.

John Savident (left) played Muffling in the film Waterloo.
"I say Wellington, I say, will thee stand on that ridge? I say
will thee stand?"

The figure is PN.69 ADC to General mounted on horse PNH/1. This was another of my little eBay wins a few weeks ago although he came with a British horse (I was able to replace this with a vintage Prussian one). When I bid I was convinced that I didn’t have a Prussian ADC but on checking my spreadsheet I was annoyed to see I had two listed. To my relief though, when the figure arrived I realised that what I already had were 2 x BN/261 ADC in cocked hat holding letter which I’d misidentified. Good news for the Duke who potentially has two more staff officers.

Bulow, Muffling and Gneisenau conferring on the field of battle.

Footnote: John Savident played Muffling in the film Waterloo. Savident became much more famous in the 1990s for playing Fred Elliott the butcher in Coronation Street.

19 comments:

Rob said...

Nice paint job - nice manly uniform, none of those fripperies and baubles the ogre needs to motivate his followers. Also an impressive film knowledge - somewhere I've got an old magazine-cum-brochure of the film with lots of stills in which you can see: bolt action rifles; rear rear ranks with linked arms and no uniform other than plain greatcoats; and, in one shot a giant fire tender no doubt on standby to put out Hougoumont.

Mark Dudley said...

The ADC figures do all look very similiar. I have 4 original French which I plan to convert/paint 2 of them up as British and Prussian Officers.

Your Muffling is very nice indeed . I did not know realise that Muffling also starred in Coronation St.

One of my first books on Waterloo was a facsimile of Mufflings 'History of the Campaign of 1815'. I was given by father in 1970. I read it many times and it had full orders of battles together with unit strengths. I still have this book today.

Stryker said...

Rob - I'm sure a fire tender would have been very useful at Hougoumont! For all it's faults still a great film.

Stryker said...

Mark - the British and Prussian ADC figures are very similar and it's only really the buttons on the breeches of the Prussian one that distinguish it. That sounds like a great book to have and nice to have kept it so long.

'Lee. said...

Magnificent figure with a suitably wonderful name. I clicked on the image of the 3 generals and it appeared showing the figures about 90mm scale on my screen and they still look perfectly painted and the detail on those old castings is most impressive.

I had not realised that was 'Fred Elliot' in the film, well spotted.

Stryker said...

Thanks Lee!

Savident also played an RAF officer in 'The Battle of Britain' and had a part in 'A Clockwork Orange'

Wellington Man said...

A very pleasing find which you have brought to life magnificently, Ian. Well done indeed.
Best regards
WM

Stryker said...

Thanks Matthew, it was good to be able to complete the set even if I thought I already had!

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Yes! He's up to your usual pleasing standard.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

Cheers Stokes!

Anonymous said...

Lovely figure, lots of character, nice little command group.

Regards

Paul

Stryker said...

Thanks Paul - it's getting so crowded that there's hardly any room for Blucher!

lewisgunner said...

That, 's OK he will need a few helpers around when the elephant is born.

Stryker said...

Roy - I had to Google that one, at least now I know to keep Blucher away from any French Grenadiers!

MSFoy said...

Lovely figures.

By 'eck, that post were reet gradely.

Phil said...

Very nicely done, impressive commnand units!

Stryker said...

Cheers Phil!

The Archduke said...

Thank you, thank you, Ian, for pointing out the difference between the staff officers. Now, what is the distinction between them and General Cooke? Possibly the absence of a letter? Thank you also for reminding me who played Muffling. All in all, a most enlightening post for yours truly.

Stryker said...

Glad to be of help Nigel! I'm still learning about HH even after all these years - I will send you some photos of Cooke when I get a chance.